Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Recon rear Sierra clappers from Burton

Myles

Car is now ready for MOT this coming Saturday.

The final problem was with the recon sierra clappers I got from Burtons to replace the old ones (duff handbrake mechanism).

Just a bit of a warning - the ones I ended up with have a lower 'saddle-height' than the originals - I don't know if I ordered the wrong variant or what, but anyway...

...so what I thought (last weekend) was dragging brakes caused by rusty discs turned out to be the outer edge of the discs grinding away at the saddle... *eek*

By the time I'd identified the cause, the discs had worn grooves in the saddles - so Mr. Anglegrinder came out and finished the job.

The pads also sit a couple of mm closer in (radially) to the axle-line FWIW.

Ho-hum. What I ended up with is the CAL5 part described as "REAR BRAKE CALIPERS (PAIR): SIERRA REAR DISC INCLUDING 2WD COSWORTH"

The Burtons online catalogue appears to suggest this part even if you select XR4x4...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Talked to Burton at show I am suprised they didn't mention it in the kit you got, cos tthey pointed it out to me that the disks would need modded. ☹️

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents. www.onthelimiter.com

Hmmph.

Oh well.

I also had a minor issue with one of the bleed-nipples. It had corroded at the base while the thing had languished on the shelf. A quick cleanup sorted it - but not before I'd had one go at bleeding it.

Never mind - seems to work now.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have come accross this problem on are you sure the calipers are at fault, as some of the caterham rear discs were incorrectly manufactured and were too big on diameter. I returned 4 discs to caterham which were 2mm too big on diameter and as the brakes heated up they fouled the caliper. If your discs are correct you should have around .060" clearance between the disc and caliper.