Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting rear brake calipers

Steve W

OK a simple question for a Monday morning. As I'm new to working on my car I thought I would check with you guy's.

I'm in the process of replacing the rear brake disk's and pads on my Di dion car.

So far so good just the callipers left to refit. First bolt in and tightened to 35 ft/lb.

Now the problem is there is just no room to fit a socket and torque wrench on the rear bolt ?

So my stupid question is 'should I just remove the bolt on the lower damper mounting and swing this to one side'.

Or am I missing a trick somewhere ?

If so what is the torque setting for this bolt ? Am I right in thinking that this must be tightened with the car on the ground.

Something in the build manual about 'correct preload of rubber bushes'.

Oh ps Should I replace the rear hub nuts or is some thread lock fine before they torque up to 200 ft/lb.

Sorry for this rambling question but hey it is Monday and I'm desperate to keep away from the boring work I have to do today.

Edited by - steve w on 21 Jan 2002 10:03:23

Edited by - steve w on 21 Jan 2002 10:05:06

Steve,

I'm about to replace my rear discs as well and wondered whether when you removed the callipers, did you have any problem moving them out of the way of the disc, with the brake pipe still attached, or did you remove the pipe as well?

Is this the time to replace the two rear brake pipes with braided hoses?

Steve Mell

PTM 88