Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

head changing

Fathead

when changing a head do you need to change oil at the same time and follow some sort of running in procedure or can I carry on with the fully syn and beat the hell out of it as normal??

Tom The most southerly uk blatter

😬Yellow 1.6 Supersport 😬 Photos here

Has the head been run previously or is it refubed?

If the latter then I feel a degree of running in would not hurt to give time for the valves to bed in to guides and seats

I would always change the oil as its possible to get bits in it. Synth should be ok as far as I know.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

seems sensible,

the head is currently undergoing refurb with new seats being cut and lapped, tapering of valves, and a port and polishing (probably more stuff but i forget the terms). It had done 20k previously before i got it.

just wondering because i have now got all the bits for my apollo install and i could do with changing the oil and installing it asap. The head will take a couple of weeks to be finished but i will have only probably done a 100 or so miles on the new oil and its expensive to change oil alot!

Tom The most southerly uk blatter

😬Yellow 1.6 Supersport 😬 Photos here

It sounds as though you've still got the original head on the car. When you take this off some of the retained coolant in the head may find it's way into the oil ways. I'd change the oil when you swap heads. Probably easier to fit the Apollo at the same time as well.