Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD and the MOT

oldbutnotslow

Having decided not to tax and insure my 7 this year as I really only use it on track is in reality becoming a royal pain.

Ive done a lot of work on the car recently and not being able to road test it before a TD is becoming more of a problem as some tracks are a long way from Norwich only to find that there is a issue that could have been found by road testing and fixed prior to the TD

So I am now faced with getting an MOT

I have done a search and found a couple of threads which say that a car with an LSD should not be put on the rollers.

Is this correct? Is the tester likely to know this? Any one know where in the regs does it state that it should not be tested in this way?

Are they likely to test the front brakes on the rollers?

Can I insist that they not test it on the rollers?

I dont want to antaginise them as 18 months ago they did a visual smoke test despite the car being a 2001 without a cat and I am hoping that they will do the same again

Thanks in antcipation *thumbup*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

Let your MOT station know it has aLSD. They should not go on standard rollers.My local MOT station has invested in newer rollers that can 'deal' with LSD's. If not they will have to perform a road test of the brakes. Well that is what they have done with my car for the past 3 years. But was talking to the tester the other day and he assures me the new rollers will be fine.

RED 2.0 HPC

• Support Team

The place I go to has always put my LSD'd car on the rollers despite the fact that the MOT manual says otherwise - I believe it is just because the reading will be false rather than some damage being caused. You are highly unlikely to get away with visual smoke test on a 2001 car now that the MOT is all computerised - 2001 cars have to pass a CAT test unless you can prove the engine was of earlier vintage.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

A decent MOT station will have a calibrated decellerometer that they can put in the pax footwell. I was asked to drive to 20mph and brake hard without lock-up. they accepted the 'G' reading as a pass.

Subsequent brake tests have consisted of a conversation:- "I bet the brakes are pretty good on this?" - "Yeah, sh1t hot, it stops on a sixpence" - "OK thats fine by me" 😬

Hi

Well Mines has always been tested on the rollers until the treads started on LSD diff's I never knew it should not be done. As Tom said it always gets comments on the very good brakes but I always get asked the cars weight.

I would be interested to hear if its detrimental to the LSD diff.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Thamks people/

OK I think that I will have a chat to them before I think of booking it in.

As far as the smoke test was concerned last time the tester said that he regarded 7's as a kit cars and as such they didnt need to do anything but a visual.

I will repost after my talk. Heres hoping *thumbup*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

OBNS,

Just remember that a lot of MOT stations are now on the computer based system and it is a lot harder to "fool" because the computer tells the tester what he needs to do according to the age of the machine.

It might be worth finding someone who isn't yet set up with this system .. though all will be by the end of the year.

I'd first speak to your local chap before commencing the test because once booked into the machine you are on record!!

If you think you might have some difficulty it might be worth having a word with Jason *confused* *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Some MOT test stations have rollers for 4X4 cars with locking diffs. I beleive these should be fine for an LSD equiped car and have never heard any untoward grating sounds when mine has been brake tested on 4X4 rollers.

Hi Alan

But what if its not 🤔 The one I use currenty is in a Mitsubishi garage so that should be fine,

HI oldbutnotslow

Hope the MOT goes well *thumbup*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.