Click here if you are having website access problems ×

JPE screen fitting

stevefoster

Spent most of today fiddling with the 7.

Fitted a JPE screen. No real problem just needs concentration and application to get it right. marking out, double checking before drilling etc.

I used my heat gun on full power to bend the

perspex to fit the scuttle. Only at each end was this needed.

Fitted the two FIA style side mirrors I have and

they will work perfectly. I can quite believe that mounting them to the screen is rigid enough and they are perfectly positioned.

Still have the centre mirror to do but I can test it as it is of course.

Not sure yet if I want a high mirror or a low one...

Can anyone point me to some good pics of JPE screen mirrors close up?

I took the heater out and the wiper assembly.

To cover the slots left by the wiper drives I blanked then off with ali tape and then filled the depression up with matching paint. Looks very good, even if I say so myself.

The heater hole was blanked off using ali sheet temp borrowed from Phil Waters... thanks Phil

All this has saved the car 14kgs compared with

heater, wipers, screen and side screen... Add more if lugging the hood about!

Next attack is leather seats for GRP high backed ones when I can afford it.

I'll be going down this route myself when funds allow.

I was under the impression that the screen just glued to the scuttle (ie no drilling of the scuttle required), is this not the case?

Do you know if all the screens need bending to fit properley or is your scuttle a funny shape, I dont have a heat gun you see.

Also , I thought the windscreen,wiper,heater combo weighed more than 14kg. Is that what yours actually weighed.

If you have an FIA bar I would go for the lower mirror or a very high one because the taller mirror support puts the cross brace right in the middle of your view. When I tried this it was the 10cm mount that put the mirror in the wrong place. I use the 4cm which isn't great but at least you get a clearer view out the back.

Hi Steve - greetings from the Colonies...

You mention that the holes in the scuttle for your new JPE screen are all masked within the footprint of the rubber for the standard screen - would this mean that a JPE deflector would attach (profile-wise) to a standard stanchion a la Brooklands set-up without trouble?

I have in mind attaching a JPE deflector to such a painted stanchion to make swapping between full and deflector an easy job of removing the hex-head bolts either side of the stanchion (plus the heated screen connectors, obviously), but I'm uncertain as to the fit.

Any advice?

Pierson

Pierson hi,

I thought of that as I already have the stanchion...

Yes it would work. You would have to heat the JPE screen up and bend it a bit for a good fit though....

The stanchion weight 1kg on it own.......

Edited by - stevefoster on 21 Jan 2002 12:15:27

Steve,

I take it that you used the supplied "fitting" blocks.

Did you tap them? If so what size bolts did you use?

Also - how easy was the screen to bend with the hot air gun?

I am thinking of being different....(nothing new there then smile.gif) and using M4 coach bolts fitted to the plastic blocks, with washers and wingnuts that do up under the dash.

It looks very easy to do, but then again my scuttle is off of the car at the moment.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

Steve,

I tapped them with M5 same size as they came with...

It was fairly easy to bend.

I played the heat gun over both sides at about 4" distance

keeping it moving to avoid burn or cooking bubbles.

You feel when it's going and then apply pressure with a thick glove to get the movement needed.

I think your idea would work... A little loctite on them each time to stop them rattling off.

Not sure which is more fiddley though.

Let me know I can always change what I have...