Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weight

Gary G

I took a friend out in my 1990 1700ss yesterday. He weighs around 14 stone and I found that the performance of my car was seriously affected by him.

2 questions:

1) What cheap mods can I make to the car to improve acceleration/speed? (Could this be combined with an unleaded head conversion?)

2)I'd like to get a 1.6 Superlight in a couple of years, but given that it's speed/acceleration relies greatly on low weight, will it be similarly affected by having a passenger?

C7 GAR

I've also got a 1700ss and you do notice the weight of a passenger - it's simply down to him/her being a relatively high percentage of the overall weight of the car. The lighter the car the more you will feel the difference with a passenger, unless the limiting factor in acceleration is traction.

If its any consolation, a 1700ss is normally plenty quick enough for the passenger!

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

All 7's are affected by heavy occupants.....

Diet for occupants.

Remove all unneccessary items from the car.

Carpet, spare wheel and carrier, go JPE screen... see my JPE screen posting about removing heater and wipers...

Aero's or JPE screen remove the airbrake big screen too, really noticeable above

50mph on lower powered cars.

You have have to decide if you want this type fo machine or not...

My frist 7 was a live axle 4sp 1600 xf and that was weighed on a weighing bridge at

510kg...

5 sp & De dion are heavier.

Wheels are another target... I can't afford R500 ones nor Carbon seats...

I can dream though.

Fogot to say... you could stick a bike engine in if the XF expires... Vast expense and the car will never be worth the money you put in it but that may not be a consideration.

Edited by - stevefoster on 20 Jan 2002 19:45:48

Chep weight losers - Bellhousing from cast to ally. and if you change to a race seat you might as well have thrown your seat(s) away. You'll be surprised at the difference. also - wheels (not cheap necessarily but lose you alot of weightif you go from 16" to 13".

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I will remove the passenger seat then. Two-fold benefit:

1) Weight saving of seat.

2) Stops heavy passengers getting in!!

Seriously though, I reckon I could change from 15" Prisoners to 13" Superlites for an instant weight saving that wouldn't cost too much. Then I could look to the engine...

C7 GAR

Excuse the interruption from a heavyweight thicko eek.gif - but

If with/without a passenger makes such a difference, would people who normally either drive alone or mainly use their cars on track, get better stability from some "ballast" on the near side or do people adjust thingys on the near-side to compensate for the lack of 'person weight' question.gif

Just curious and confused.gif

FH

You normally 'Flat floor' a car in the state it is driven - either on track (stripped out) or road with a few spares, etc. If you don't normally have a passenger then just you will sit in the car for the set-up. This will make a big difference to the car's handling and worth spending time (as long as you are not paying) on getting it close as possible.

Of course, with a passenger throws it all out the window - its just a best-fit solution.

Phil Waters

2000 Zetec is in, waiting to start it up wink.gif