Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Smaller Headlights

Andy Checkley

Thanks Andy. Ive just had a look at the web site and they are exactly what I was looking for. Ive never used James Whiting before, but I think that may change as there are a few other bits on the site that look interesting, so I think my "Winter" Seven budget may take a battering over the next week or so.

Anthony Stafford Vehicle Components. 01827 67714 (yes I know it looks like it's a number short.....) do the same lights too. Check the price, 'cos in the catalogue I have in front of me, they are £90 including VAT, per pair. That's for a halogen version. Sealed beam versions (although I can't imagine any-one buying sealed beams) are a tenner less. P&P comes to £7.00, but check the current prices like I said.........

Westf1eld sell 'em too, and I know at least one blatchatter has bought 'em from our plastic friendsblush.gif

When I checked W/field were, surprisingly in view of their reputation for value, considerably more expensive than James Whiting they wanted £70 each as mentioned James charges £90 per pair plus VAT. I swear the car now feels more lively at the top end but the headlamps are a bit of a bugger to fit.

Pierre, I dont know how true it is but when I was talking to someone on a trackday last year, they said that the drag/turbulence caused by the headlamps was worth 3bhp each at the top end. Whether this is correct or not I am not sure but they must make some difference. The main reason I want to swap over is purely cosmetic. I just prefer the look of the slightly smaller ones.

Pierre, I really don't know. I suspect it was based on with/without rather than a comparision of the the standard v the smaller units. I am sure that someone will be along soon who may be able to shed a bit more "light" on it.

When I was originally discussing the headlights, the same guy said that the standard upright windscreen is worth 18bhp at top end. Again I am not sure whether this is a with / without windscreen or windscreen v wind deflector. Again I am sure that there is significant drag caused by the windscreen, although I am not sure how the 18bhp figure was arrived at. Although not scientific, I had an interesting run following an R500 on the Brands Hatch GP circuit last year in my SLR. My car has no windscreen, but the R500 did. We both exited Surtees at about the same speed, and I was surprised that I kept up with him down pilgrims drop which is a very fast part of the circuit, 130mph plus. I know that there are many reasons this may happen, but the windscreen v no windscreen may have played a part.

I am sure there is some complicated maths at the bottom of this stuff, but I think its like lightening the car. No one single item makes a significant difference but all the small improvements do have a noticable overall effect.

I have just fitted a pair of the 5 1/4" from Stafford Vehicle Components, I am very pleased with the quality and can confirm that they are exactly the same as the ones supplied by W******D. Having returned the W*******D because they cost £50 extra. I beleive they also supply Caterham with the 7" units. SVC telephone number is 01827 67714.

As you are all changing has anyone got any good condition chrome 7” lens rings to donate/sell to me. I have tried Caterham but am told these are no longer supplied separately. As mine are rusty they need replacing. These are the ones that locate at the bottom on a lug and a screw through the bowl at the top pulls up a retaining clip. Wipac / Lucus. Here's hoping. Pete

Fast Zetec ?

I have the James Whiting smaller headlights and I'm fitting Fiat clear side repeaters to the side of the bowl. The Fiat repeaters are small, have a good profile (think mini flying saucer) and have the right E numbers to be legal. They should sit flush to the bowl and look good.

I have them because Arnie noticed his Fiat had them and they were a good design. The Fiat sourced ones are amber but aftermarket suppliers do them clear, mine were sourced by DT.