Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SLR Split Rims - Advice Please

Andy Checkley

The rear 8x13" split rims on my SLR dont seem to hold their shine like the fronts. Its not terrible, but they let the rest of the car down. I have tried various cleaners but with no success. I was thinking of having all the wheel rims painted by one of the wheel painting companies like "Wicked Wheels", but I wasn't sure whether I could easily split the centres away from the rims without causing myself reassembly or resealing problems once painted. The fronts look like two piece split rims, while the rears look like three piece.

Can anyone give any advice or recommendations, or should I just leave them alone or get stuck in with the wire wool and try to laquer them myself.

Has anyone any recommendations as to a company in Kent/Surrey/Essex/London that does a good wheel painting/reconditioning service.

Thanks in advance.

Clik, you are right they are already laquered, but for some reason the rears have gone very dull whereas the fronts are as new. Ive tried cleaning them with anything that wont take the laquer off but Ive got to the point I think that the only way of smartening them up is to strip the existing laquer off and either polish and re-laquer them or get all four wheel rims properly painted.