Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter motor works now and then

Lardy

Starter motor is only 4 months old. Drove to the shop turned off went in came back out starter wouldn't turn. Checked, and there is lots of power from battery ie lights bright, heater runs well.

Solved it by putting in gear and moving car back and forth and tried again, it was fine.

Is there an issue? will it let me down? any ideas?

Its not wrapped nor are the headers. Should I look at doing this?

Thanks

GK02 *** Blue SV

Ring gear knackered on starter or flywheel.

I think the engine always stops in 1 of 2 places, so the flywheel takes a hammering in these two areas, you moved the car in gear, which moved the flywheel to a nice non-worn bit, hence it started ok.

Caterham Fireblade here

Lardy,

There are many possible reasons if there was a click. All come down to not enough ummppphh getting to the starter/solenoid.

Check all connections very thoroughly. In my case it was a worn FIA cut out switch. It could be a dodgy solenoid to. A number of people have cured the click problem by dismantling the solenoid and cleaning it. I did this initially when I had the problem and it worked as a temporary solution. Finally when the problem returned I traced it to the FIA switch.

Check all earths and the condition of the heavy duty cables to the starter/battery.

Now if the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over then the starter or ring gear is most likely worn and rocking the car in gear helps by moving the ring gear. However rocking the car may also be enough IMHO to affect a bad connection.

Steve.

Had a similar problem last year. So took the SM off dismantled and completely cleaned everything especially the solenoid, did the relay modification and finally totally insulated the SM with reflective heat wrap.

Have since done about 4k with no probs much of which has been in high temps in France. Oh standard starter BTW

Phil S7SVN

• 3 weeks later...
Check all connections very thoroughly. In my case it was a worn FIA cut out switch

Could you confirm if there is a possibility that a worn FIA cut out switch might be a cause of the dreaded clicking starter motor? Did I understand that right? Because we've got that with my car right now, and I have recently found the need to wiggle the red key in the cut out switch?

Has anyone tracked a 'K Click' to anything wrong with the immobiliser? I've had this problem intermittently recently but it seems to be related very strongly to the immobiliser.

If I do a full 'immobilise-wait for the red light to stop flashing-disarm' sequence (hearing the expected number of 'immobiliser clicks' each time, and no matter what the state of the immobiliser was before I started the sequence) it always seems to start. However if I miss one of these steps or try to start the car when the immobiliser appears to be disarmed but I haven't done the full sequence, I quite often get 'the click'. Rocking in gear also works to get it started and all the connections to the starter motor look OK (i.e. not obviously heat damaged), but the immobiliser sequence seems to be the biggest factor.

Anyone else seen this too? If so is there anything I can do or should check?

Steve

John gave me an enormous help - we were so close at the end, engine out, replaced the bottom end with the DVA unit, put it all back in and started it with the JH tractor. I had a fabulous Easter learning about the car from John, and eating Sue's food. Sometimes this club is amazing.

Unfortunately with the starter issue and the car not seeming to be quite on cam, I left the car in the paddock at Goodwood and decided not to risk it until we'd checked it over again.

Nearly there - getting the starter issue fixed tomorrow I hope - there's a garage down the road with a Classic Sportscar Club mechanic on the team - I'll pass on the possibility of the FIA switch to him (actually I'll try wiggling it some more tonight myself *tongue* !) and then I'll be able to drive it around more easily - at the moment it needs Mrs GTD and a tow car to get it going.

Geoff

Edited by - GTD on 18 Apr 2006 15:07:52

Geoff,

Well at least you & JH tried your best. Thinking about the engine having been out you did tighten up the earth strap(s) I hope? A bad earth could cause the starting problem too. Maybe one of the heavy duty cables it suspect and having been distubed taking the engine out has now gone too far to provide enough ummppphhh to start the car.

Do let us know the outcome.

Steve.

Could be something really simple like a loose connection of the wire from the ingintion switch to the starter either being loose or even coming off the spade but still resting against it. How tight are your cable runs to the starter? I had this problem when i spiral wrapped my wiring - letting the cable out of the spiral wrap one wrap earlier took the pressure off the wire at the starter end and fixed the problem

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here