Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series (4-1 inside the body) Manifold

Petrolhead

Petrolhead,

I guess the answer to that is 'at the right price'.

My 1993 1400K ss has the 'original' internal stainless steel exhaust system fitted. The system runs under the car (2 pipes) into a silencer running across the back, again with 2 exit pipes.

The advantage is that it's quiet and SWMBO can't burn her leg when she gets in & out.

The disadvantages include jacking & ground clearance issues, weight and possibly power issues.

I live about 15 miles from Powerspeed, but cannot justify £500+ on a new sports exhaust.

This leaves the option of buying a second hand std system for £150 to £200 or possibly std manifold & powerspeed can.

I would like to speak to someone who has changed an internal system to see if they were happy.

Bruce.

Petrolhead,

Many thanks for the kind offer which I am seriously considering *thumbup*

I have to take my Caterham for an MOT Monday (the first one since I've owned the car) and want to check if it needs a CAT when they type in the VIN No. (the current internal system has one that keeps my wifes feet very warm!)

I will also pop up to Powerspeed and have a quick chat with Dave about obtaining the other bits.(I'm supposed to be decorating the front room with SWMBO ☹️)

If it's still available, I'll let you know Tue/Wed.

I'm assuming your manifold is in good condition and has a lambada sensor mounting point.

Since I havn't studied one close up, any photo's would be appreciated as I will have to cut a hole in my side skin and refit the lambada sensor when I fit it.

Bruce.

Petrolhead,

Thanks for the photos. Nice car! (same colours as mine).

Can you tell me the following:

Is there a threaded hole for a lambada sensor in the manifold?

Does your car have a shorter LH rear mudguard to accomodate the exhaust?

Did your system have a CAT fitted?

Does the pipe join the manofold inside the engine bay?

Have you still got the pipe?

Bruce.

This was off my old car and not the R5

My LH rear mudguard is shorter but cant see the relevance

The system, which was sold, did have a cat in (all one piece)

The pipe fits the manifold inside the engine bay. The exhaust is all one piece so no separate pipe

Will have to look at the manifold tonight re lambada hole

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*

Thanks for the reply.

I had to leave my 7 at the MOT garage today (failed on emissions!), so didn't get the chance to go to Powerspeed. Hoping to visit them tomorrow.

I only asked about the rear arches as mine are both full length and wondered if I would need to change the LH one to fit a side exhaust. Another question for Powerspeed I guess.

Bruce.

Petrolhead,

Phoned the garage today. Still waiting for a slot to tweek and retest for emissions. (MOT now run out)

I think they are hiring it out!

I still need to take it around to Powerspeed for a quote on pipe & box (hopefully Sat am).

Sorry for the delay.

Hey, that complete system sounds interesting doesn't it *tongue*

Bruce.