Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Rumbly" rear-end at 100mph+

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

Had a fabulous day at Snetterton yesterday with Goldtrack. Despite the dire weather forecast, the track dried after the first session and stayed so for the rest of the day. The 2x30 minute session format ensured more track time than anyone could possibly want.

However, in the afternoon, I became aware of what I can only describe as a "Rumbly" rear end to the car when going down the straight from an "indicated" approx 100mph upwards. What worries me is that it was not doing it in the morning sessions.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking? The wheel bearings were adjusted and greased only last week by James Whiting. Other than that, everything feels fine, and the moment the speed dropped again, everythig was normal. I did have one blast up a clear road at (ahem) similar speeds, and could not reproduce the symptoms.

Any suggestions welcome!

Michael.

• Area Representative

Could it be tyre related Michael? Just thinking of things that would differ between track work and a blast down the road at similar speed (tyre heat and pressure).

Crudders

Michael,

Maybe as you were in tune with the circuit in the afternoon (after all the 30 mins sessions), you may just have been travelling at a faster speed over the bumps, so this made the car feel different *confused* that maybe complete pants 😳

tyres ? pressures ok ?

Caterham Fireblade here

• Leadership Team

Thanks - no type pressures all OK as was the tyre surface (just normally scrubbed).

will have a look at the propshaft.

Thanks to all for your ideas!

Michael.

Ahhhhh, was about to suggest propshaft when I saw Angus had posted. Michael, there should be a grease nipple in the UJ at each end of the prop but these sometimes come out and disappear. If you can't feel any appreciable wear, it may just be the UJ's are in need of a few good squirts of grease if the needle rollers are dry.

Let me know if you need a grease gun. *thumbup*

I would check it soonest..............I don't want to be taking your diff out in Bergerac 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 28 Mar 2006 21:21:12

Michael, I was going to add that the redhead sitting next to you in the car in Montignac 3 years ago, probably had a rumbly rear end at 100 mph on that Saturday afternoon as well

I know I've said it before but the look on her face will live with me forever 😬 😬 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

• Leadership Team

Hi Danny,

Your car looked fabulous and certainly went - I did come and have a chat with you at lunchtime to admire your car. I was in the Red Crossflow.

Great day *thumbup*

Michael.