Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Let's torque wrenches

jono

Bought a nice Halfords professional torque wrench to go with my Halfords pro socket set. All very nice but problem is it's 3/4 drive when a lot of the sockets I need are 1/2 inch.

I managed to find a 3/4 down to 1/2 adaptor but at £13 (and no warranty as the guy explained it's easy to twist the output drive and I can understand that) I decided to pass.

Surely others have come across this problem? Is there and easy solution - am I missing or do I have to go and buy a 1/2 drive torque wrench as well?

Alternatively as I am not dealing with any especially high torque values on the seven (big nut's way outa my league) does anyone know a source of 3/4 down to 1/2 adaptors at sensible price??

Cheers folks *thumbup*

• Area Representative

Justoffbase Tools are good for this sort of thing Jono.

They don't seem to do converter sets in 3/4" drive but this ought to do the trick here

And you shouldn't have any trouble finding a few other bits to make the order value up to £50.00, to take advantge of their free postage *wink*

Crudders

Can't believe they are Halford prices.

Cromwell Tools cat. suggests £9.87 for 3/4 to 1/2"

All that aside, 3/4" is a bl**dy big torque wrench to start with, especially if you are working of a K series engine.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Support Team

I have 2 Halfords torque wrenches - the big one goes up to 200lbft and is 1/2" drive, the smaller one which goes to (I think) 80lbft is 3/8" drive. What range does your wrench cover to need a 3/4" drive?

I have a 3/8" to 1/2" step up and a 1/2" to 3/8" step down converter both bought from Halfords for less than a fiver each IIRC. As I have both 1/2" and 3/8" drive sockets sets now I rarely use the converters but they worked fine when I did use them.

Yellow SL *cool* #32