Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wax on...

Dan Salter

Be warned.. When waxoiling, the fittings to the lance need to be well secured. my first time using the thing should have carried a health warning. Although I thought that the nylon fittings were as tight as possible, they weren't -- spraying away, thinking this is good, when all of a sudden with good pressure up--the hose came off, resulting in hot waxoil shooting up my jeans and worst of all I couldn't stop the thing !! -- Now have completely rust proof jeans !! you really need to use a pit if possible as you need lots of room, I worked with the car up on axle stands and was 'trapped'.He He oh sod and damm..

I applied mine using a compressor fitted with a degreaser type spray gun.

This worked VERY well indeed. The waxoyl was turned into a finemist that got everywhere it was suposed to go (and everywhere else)

I was photographing the job for my website and ended up with a very water resistant clothing, garage and camera.

You can see the results in the "winter rebuild" section of my site.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

I know not everyone agrees with the use of waxoil but I am halfway thru a re-build and safety check on the back-end of my car and thought it might be a good time to clean everything back to bare metal. I took the old Waxoil off with Celulose thinners and found absolutely no corrosion anywhere where the coating had stayed on. This is after ten years I hasten to add. The bits that had corroded were areas of the fuel tank where I hadn't been able to apply the original coating and road salt had done its dastardly deeds, not to any fatal degree though. It seems to work, so I will be re-applying when the re-build is complete

Mike,

Been there, done that, got the overalls, it happened twice to me, I ended up mopping the waxoil up off the floor with a rag and applying it with the rag. I then took the remaining half of the can back to Halfords who gave me a new one smile.gif. I reckon I should be able to repeat this process every couple of years for the life of the car teeth.gif

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif