Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bilstein on a 1997 Se7en

Ted_7

Does anyone know how much costs a pair of rear dampers for a 1997 De Dion Seven ? I'm looking also for the reference of this product, as I am Belgian I can't go to Caterham to buy that but I'll try to find it here. So just 2 questions : reference and price (for the pair of dampers, not the springs).

Thank you in advance

Se7enly, Ted_7

I had a 1999 de dion 1.8K series Supersport. At about 2000 miles, James Whiting upgraded the standard Bilstein dampers and standard springs with Leda adjustable dampers and stiffer springs (front and rear). The old units are in a box in my garage. You could have these for free if you want.

Mad Manx

Geoff,

The upgrade also required the wide front track. We kept the standard front anti-roll bar and didn't fit a rear anti-roll bar, although these upgrades might have followed.

The car certainly felt more predictable and more composed on the circuit, but I couldn't say for sure what contributed most, the springs/dampers or the wider track. The Ledas look good, and it is useful to be able to adjust the damper stiffness quickly.

However, I subsequently bought a new Superlight and I am actually quite happy with the standard set up.

Mad Manx