Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-flow makes big BHP

Mr Happy

"after much revving and grinning - he lept out of the car to tell my Roger King all steel 1800 xflow with new Antonio(?) head was kicking out 193.2BHP at 7300 rpm - "a mighty engine" he said"

Lucky the sprint regs has this in them:

Cars which have technical modifications deemed by the Championship co-ordinator not to meet the basic spirit of the technical regulations will be allocated to the most appropriate class.

TM

Just asking, what others are thinking

I'm not sure it is the same though Dave as part of the idea of class 2 and 3 is that it should be possible to compete in them (and be competitive) in cars that are not at all or only slightly modified from standard.

As far as I understand it the idea of adding in the "spirit of the class" idea is so that things can be kept on at least a resonable level playing field. If people want to spend heaviliy for top performance then classes 4 and 5 accomodate that.

This strikes me as a creeping thing as once you allow cars with 193 BHP in 2 or 3 (although do we know if the owner is even planning on sprinting?)then the pressure builds for everyone to spend more and then suddenyl you have no cheap(ish) classes for people with standard cars to enter and at least be close to the pace of the top cars.

The R300 is a difficult anomaly in all this as it is arguably too quick for 2/3 and not quick enough for 4/5.

Steve

• Area Representative
The following modifications are PROHIBITED to Rover K series 1800cc engines: Any porting of the K16 cylinder head or the use of VVC or VHPD cylinder heads, reprogrammable ECUs eg Emerald, VVC plenum chambers and a throttle body greater than 52mm.

Since a VVC powered R300 has a VVC head casting, its not allowed in class 2 or 3 *tongue*

Neil

You are missing the point completed, how can Class 2 & 3 be biased against K series when the 98% of the cars that compete in the class are K series.

These classses were designed for 'virtually standard' cars hence the peg at 140bhp, we've done the class structure to death and Xflows sit in Class 2/3 as they have a distinct weight/torque and speed disadvantage over the K's and they are only single cam.

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

Exactly Graham - so what you are saying is that it takes exceptional skill and courage to even compete with a xflow, let alone actually beat any of the 98% that are 'K's.

What can I say - except agree 😬 😬

Mike

just remember 7 of the 10 class records for class 3 are running 1800 K's

the only places to retain records for xflows are

1. aintree, this is a place where big power is a majo advantage

2. MIRA, which again is biased towards power , and the holder is a very expereinced sprinter

3. lydden, which we don't go to anymore and was the holders local circuit

nothing for 1600 k's BTW

so if anything we should be looking at the 1800 k's and restricting them 😬 especially blue ones *thumbup*

also remember that the engine in question has not had the most relaible history in either its or its previous owners hands...

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

do i sense a tad of sour grapes on the colour

'trick' as you call it heads where allowed previously, just us gentleman 1600 comepetitors thought it was not in the spirit, until we found out about the huge advantange that the 1800's had 😬

just remember you nasty 1800 boys used to have to be in class 4&5 and again the gentlman 1600 competitors allowed you into class 2 & 3 😬

So overall conclusion given the fighting now raging has surely got to be to move all powerful X-flows, 1800 K's and 1600's with cheating head work up to class 4 and 5 then 😬

That will just leave us honest gentlemen with our standard cars to compete in line with the original plans for class 2 and 3 *thumbup* 😬

Steve

I agree Graham - as long as this one with 193 BHP doesn't turn up to play.

Much as I rate the driving of a lot of the front running K series boys, I don't think they can overcome a 40 BHP plus advantage, even with the other limitations of the X-flow.

As I doubt i'll be a contender in the championship it doesn't worry me overly, but the playing field should be at least reasonably level.

Steve

I would expect dave McFarlane in his xflow to be there or there abouts especially at places like aintree, longcross and MIRA and others...where he can really stretch his legs of his xflow *thumbup* but of course he has suffered grealty in the past for having a big power car in terms of reliability....

I think we have a good set of reg's and there is the 'spirit' line this year so don't really think there is a problem...

and I don't personally have a problem (anymore) with the big power xflows or lotus twinks (if any turn up), the bar was really raised in class 3 last year by Paul Dickens and he is now the benchmark...2 years ago no one would have thought a class 3 car was capable of a sub 60s at curbugger and if it was going to be broken it would have been likely to have fallen to a big hp xflow or lotus twink, but it went to a 'standard' 1800K