Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BGH gearbox conversion - Feedback

oldbutnotslow

Yesterday was the first time that we had run the car since Brian Hills converted the existing type 9 box.

It really has transformed the performance of the car. *thumbup*

A tall first gear allowed 35mph as opposed to 35 feet. I opted for the 2.8 sporting ratios with a 0.89 5th

The car is so much faster and with the 2nd & 3rd ratios having been closed up, the way that the power is now delivered is a joy.

Whereas previously it would gain speed in 5th but slowly, with the 0.89 5th ratio the car continued to pull strongly

For those who know Cadwell, Park Straight was a good example. Previously I would be changing into 5th at the bottom of the dip half way along and whilst the speed would increase up to the brake point it was not by much.

The new ratios meant that I was in 5th well before the dip and the car continued to accelerate strongly up to the braking point. I reckon that I was carrying a good 15 to 20 mph extra speed

There is a real downside to the conversion though ☹️

It has shown up just how badly I need an LSD. On the rear inside wheel I went through 1/2 the depth of one rear CR500 in 217 miles and had to feed in the power on a number of corners otherwise you went nowhere. *eek*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

Grant I am interested in your thread here as I also have a BGH gearbox, a 2.8 sport close, if I recall, seems to be the same ratios as yours, however it's very noisy in all the ratios which have been changed, which are all except 4th. Your comments on any noticeable noisy operation, ie, a particularly annoying scream in 5th, would be appreciated, and for all the noise issues the change action is tops, mine is a very early box, circa 1994. Best regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Had mine done recently as well - and very pleased.

It is a 1990 xflow with the same 2.8 sporting c/r ratios - but the ticket said heavy duty as well. There is a faint whine from the box which I didn't notice before - well I assume it is something to do with the box as if I take it out of gear the noise stops but the car keeps going! It could be that the whine was always there, but running an aeroscreen before it went in for the BGH treatment could have drowned it out. Doesn't really matter to me as the aero is back on now for the season.

Mike

Nigel, I did not notice noise but then again I run on track with an aero and helmets so I doubt that I would hear it unless it was very pronounced. If you are not happy speak to Brian.

2nd is quite notchy but the rest are quick and smooth.

I took the extension off the lever, which has also been converted to a quick action, and its about 2" shorter than standard now . I think it may be a bit too short though.

I will probably put the extension back and see how that feels.

Otherwise I am very pleased.

Speaking to Brian he would normally recommend a 0.87 on a road car to give a little higher top speed which I would guess would be better on M.ways.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

I should be using mine for the first time at the w/e. Same ratios as OBNS I think - mebbe slightly different 5th (can't remember).

My only concern (so far) is that there is a significant and unwanted detente in neutral in the center-left plane. I'll take the stick off and refit it just to be sure - but I can't quite see how I could have got this wrong (I've posted on this before).

I hope it will free up with use.

The box *should* be a revelation - with the revised ratios and the overhaul (mine was described as having led a hard life)... Looking forward to it.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com