Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Pressure sender & warning light

• Leadership Team

Aves - this may be the sender I have fitted to my filter head *thumbup* It has 2 threaded pillars, one connects to a wire from the loom, the other has a short wire and a female spade connector, but has never been connected to anything other than the sender (I didn't build the car). I assume the wire that is connected controls the guage, but although I have a low pressure light fitted, in the last 8 years it has never lit *confused* My conclusion so far is that the errant wire is the reason. Anyone enlighten me on this?

I'll check to see if there's a part number on my sender, IIRC it's a VDO part, and is the one originally supplied by Caterham with my car 10 years ago. Very similar to the one here- part no. 380 070 250 53

Stu.

Try Mardisgras racing at Silverstone (01327 858006). They are the UK distributiors for VDO (I think). The warning light is driven off the sender when wired appropriately. Be prepared - they are expensive Circa £70.00 from memory!

Cheers

NigelJ

Arrrrghhhhh! *mad*

I've just been through the hassle (and expense) of fitting a separate sender for a pressure switch (see here), and I wondered what the second threaded pillar was for. I've just been out and swapped the ground wire from the newly installed sender to this other post on the existing sender, and the light behaves perfectly.

Does anyone know what it is rated at (i.e. how many psi/bar to trigger it)?

Stu, When there is no pressure the post is grounded. So, have a separate (switched) +ve to the light (from somewhere under the dash), and route the -ve to the sender post.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aves

I've just fitted one and yes the gauge line goes to "G".

The warning light on mine switches when the pressure drops to 0.5bar -circa 7psi. I have used the shift light that is already on the car (SLR) as the oil pressure waring light - its in the right place for easy viewing and is very bright. Hopefully it will never come on except when starting!

NigelJ