Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Uprated valve spring retainer

catastrada

I'm planning to fit a pair of BP270H ("old" shape) on my 1.6K next week, with Vernier pulleys.

The mileage of my 2004 car (and my engine) is 4.000 miles.

I do not do competition but I use it mainly during track days.

Do I need to change other parts "around" the camshaft?

For example someone told me I should use "uprated steel valve spring retainers" ? What do people that have experiences think about it ?

Are these retainers a well know weakness ?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Edited by - Catastrada on 21 Mar 2006 10:22:40

Well, at 4.000 miles I'd say it'll need cam lube to bed the cams in 😬! Only kiddin'....sorry I couldn't resist...I take it you mean 4,000 miles! Speak to oily hands (AKA Dave andrews)...he'll know...as will many others on here...just not me...sorry! *confused*

Just had a thought, as your car is EU3, and the cams you are talking of are old shape...do you mean they are old EU2 cams? Is so I don't think they can go in due to a position sensor on the cam that tells the ECU what cycle the engine is in. Just thought I should be a little helpful after taking the pi55.

Yes, if I remember correctly the inlet cam has a semi circle piece on it that tells the ecu what cycle the engine is in (helps with emissions *thumbdown*) and therefore if you run a standard ECU I cannot see it working on your engine! Should be ok with emerald etc. Have you bought the Cam?

Oily has the correct cams for you if you need them and can advise about springs etc at the same time...he really is your man to talk to!

Both cams have the cam phase reluctor ring, but it is only used on the exhaust cam, Piper have been putting this ring on their cams for 5 years so the chances are that your cams will have them on. Many EU3 SS engines I have seen have used very old stock EU2 cams (factory supplied) that do *not* have the cam phase reluctor ring on them and the engines run OK , albeit without sequential injection which requires the cam phase sensor, my guess is that the lack of a cam phase reluctor ring will simply revert the injection back to batched mode.

You do not need any change of valvegear for BP270 cams, just lightly linish the tops of the followers before fitting the cams and make sure you use cam lube on the cams and followers.

Old shape BP270 usually refers to the older 623 profile rather than suggesting chronological age of the cam.

Oily