Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT questions

Bewls

I have a 1993 Q plated Caterham 7 1700 xflow:

1. Is a stick on front number plate ok?

2. Do I need a rear fog light

3. Do I need a heated screen

4. If it's got a LSD should I have any concerns over them putting it on the rollers to check the rear brakes?

5. Anything else I need to know, it's the first MOT its had since I have owned it 😳

• Support Team

1. As long as it was *ahem* fitted before the recent rules were introduced, shouldn't be a problem.

2. Rear fog light required on all cars first used after 1st April 1980 see here.

3. No

4. Lots of people say its a problem but I have had mine tested on the rollers every year and it hasn't broken yet. If an LSD can't stand the basic brake test then how is it going to cope on track under hard braking, cornering, etc. All IMHO of course. The MOT manual does say that roller brake test is not appropriate for an LSD equipped car - see here

5. Look at this website for all the info you'll ever need on MOTs. Emissions should be visibile smoke test only for you.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 20 Mar 2006 13:43:33

LSD on rollers is a no, as I think the LSD defeats the object of the roller test.

The roller brake tests individual wheels, and I think the LSD (I still don't fully understand how a LSD works) will transfer some of this resistance to the other side (the side not on test). Therefore if tested you'll get a false (fail) reading.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬