Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New Bosh race starters

tiddy1

After numerous starter failures on my k-series I finally bit the bullet and bought one of the new caterham 'Bosh' starters and it was mighty expencive at just over £300. *eek*

(and before you say you should have gone to Brise, a brise will not fit my engine/ exhaust combination )

has anyone tried sourcing these from bosh or a motor factors, as they look fairly standard, do we know what car they come from?

Hope it solves the starting problems

Simon

yes thats the one, the kit from caterham included 4 bolts and the adapter plate which is a bit thicker than the old one so by my reckoning its £206 for the plate and bolts!!!!!!!

looks like its going straight back .

Simon

Mick picked up tthe starter on friday, and although the pic shows 0.9 Kw the one I have is 1.4 kw, and identical to the one from CC. and £66 +vat +£ 20 if you do not have an exchange unit.

I will try and fit it soon, I have the 4-1 race exhaust which is very tight to the engine so we will see

I measured the spacer and the new one is 28mm thick, I am not sure of the old one but I will either make an additional spacer plate or buy a new one from CC, I believe they are about £32

will let you know how it goes

the solenoid is below but so is the one on the magnatron and it will not stick below the sump, so no worries thier

Simon

Edited by - tiddy1 on 28 Mar 2006 06:50:00

• 4 weeks later...

Just fitted the Bosh starter, I had to add 6mm spacer between the bell housing and the standard caterham adapter plate ( i did not want to fork out £32 for a new plate until I knew it would work)

I did need some 'adjustment' to the no 1 and 2 primaries but eventually fitted fine *smile*

Works a dream, really spins the engine fast, as yet no hot start issues but have notgiven it too much stick

only problem is that I managed to disturb the exhaust gasket so now it is blowing, popping and banging ☹️

sounds like my old crossflow !

Will have to re-do the gasket, but of course that means taking the water rail off etc etc

So to summerise £ 66+vat and a 6 mm spacer gets you a £300 caterham race starter, it would be fun to try and get a price match from caterham

ps my exhaust is one of the older 4:1 race units which is very tight compared to the new ones so I reckon that this unit will fit anywhere that a magnetron starter fits

Simon