Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lessons

First Man

I am happy to confess that I am not even at square one when it comes to mechanical matters, but would like to learn more in order to fully appreciate and look after the Seven.

My father-in-law recently went on a one day course at the Rolls Royce Club, where experts took them under/over/inside the cars, pointed out what was what and how to look after/service/repair/replace it; an excellent day apparently with lots learned. Does the L7C ever organise such events or might it do so if there was suffient interest?

First Man.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leadership Team

I couldn’t agree more, and it could even be a good earner for NTL.

I would happily pay a donation to NTL to spend a day learning from some of the more mechanically minded club members, going through some of the more regular mechanical operations. Thins like:

Routine servicing

Checks before track days

Changing A frame bushes

Bleeding brakes

Removing an engine

Better still, the owner having this work done on his car could donate what he would have paid a mechanic to NTL also. What do you think? Anyone up for it, and willing to share their experience? Could even be fun…

Michael.

A neat idea! I've made myself look a prat several times already (fortunately mostly in my garage) apart from which, there are dozens of questions I'd like to ask and they're probably the same as lots of other newcomers want to know too.

• Leadership Team

Steve - Er, No! Perhaps not in one day...

Seriously though - There does seem to be a lot of interest in this sort of thing. Now, we just need some technically minded individuals willing to spare a weekend day to get a few people together. I know that there are plenty of people tinkering in their garages most weekends - who fancies being joined by a few helpers?

Michael.

I would also be very interested in a day like this, Might be a nice little earner for someone was well as making money for NTL,

Let me know if anyone takes up the challange

New Superlight arrives this week teeth.gif, Days to wait are getting very few!!! teeth.gif

thumbsup.gif Fantastic idea. Here are some other topics that would suit me:

1) How to tell the difference between tightening and loosening a bolt (other than one results in stripping the thread, and the other results in the bolt coming off)

2) How to to get a spanner to some of the bolts holding the black sticky out bits attached to the front wheels together without scraping all the paint off the side skins.

3) What the black sticky out bits attached to the front wheels are all called so that I know what torque is required for the bolts holding the black sticky out bits attached to the front wheels together.

By the way......I am exaggerating (although not that much about item 1 blush.gif)!!!!

A certain amount of this goes on already I know of one owner who regularly commutes by air to the Uk to assist owners with their rebuilds and on occasions other owners turn up as well for instruction, Small groups of no more than 4 are best since beyond that it is not possible for everyone to get hands on experience, I am sure there are quite a few time served mechanics who now own and have built/modified their own car who would be willing to do this over a weekend for small groups. Just my 2ds worth.!!!

Discussion with your AO may well locate the guy in your area!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Jan, I'm still up for partaking in S.London. Not in a position to lead at the moment.

Jace, nice idea combining with Handling day. Means I can have even more fun knowing I'll get to fix her afterwards before needing to go homesmile.gif

• 1 month later...

This has somehow become my little project by admission that not everybody wealds a spanner as often as I do. There are I realise a lot of people out there who didn't assemble their own car from scratch and for whom the most simple tasks can seem daunting. I'm slowly planning to have something along the lines of a day somewhere where we get 3 volunteers with a K, Vx, and X-flow engined cars (1 with a live axle, probably the Xflow) , to come along put them up on axle stands and then answer questions from the assembled throng. Therefore everyone gets to know the engine they run and the suspension system they are riding on. Apart from that all cars are fairly similar. I've yet to decide if we organise it as a club or get a Se7en garage to help us. I would think that we could organise it amongst ourselves though. Things are still in the early stages but will come to fruition when I get more feedback, namely where to hold it ; Surrey members aren't the only ones interested. Late June or early July seems to be the likely date. However, it has been suggested that we organise it for Curborough, in which case can I ask someone to take it on as I have other duties that day.

Any more feedback or offers of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

All the Best

Adrian

Keep it between the hedges lads! wink.gifthumbsup.gif