Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Upper steering column removal

Nifty

Just been trying to do a "simple" job of replacing my fixed steering wheel with a removable setup.

Unfortunately the steering column does not want to come out without trying to remove the upper steering bush too.

Doing a little feeling around I am guessing that the part of the steering column associated with the steering lock is catching on the bush somehow.

I cannot remember from my rebuild but assumed that this was a machined groove in an otherwise constant diameter rod, so shouldn't do this.

Am I right or am I wrong and it is wider here and I must pull the bush out too 🤔

Even giving it a good yank (if such a thing exists *tongue* *tongue*) doesn't seem to want to get the bush to come out with the rod

(I am not pulling that hard due to my fear of triggering my back again .. which is currently much, much better).

So, should it come out without the bush or with the bush please 🤔

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Nifty, If I remember correctly (which I don't always) the steering column lock is welded to the column. The "key" from the lock sits between the 2 welded lugs.

I "knocked" mine out from the pedal box end and the top bush comes out with the shaft. This isn't a problem as it's split and can be used again. I found mine worn and got a new one. the new one has worn as much as the old one so it's probably not worth replacing anyway.

With such precise steering the slight up and down movement of the column seems a lot but in reality it insignificant. Never had a problem with MOT testers.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Nifty

I've just done mine, dead easy;

I put a fan heater on the cockpit floor for about an hour. this warms up the column outer, column, bush and all the works. Obviously after releasing the middle clamp, just pulled steadily using a good bit of manual handling technique and it slipped out a treat. The trick, if you can call it that, is that the rubber was warm (40 deg C or so ) and so was nice and soft.

We know it works for tyres.

Putting the new one in was slick, using a dollop of silicone grease and warming it.

I did play with the idea of taking the steering lock collar off the old column and welding it on the new (Caterham) one.

But only for a little while.

Susser (Manual Handling Instructor )

Did mine last week (upper and lower column). Took everything out via the cockpit end and used brute force initially to move the upper bush. Was a lot easier refitting steering wheel and pulling while sitting in car. Suppose have to do it again when I fit a QR setup though. Don't need the steering lock lug on my column 😬

1.4K SS 😬 Saving for the next trackday *wink*

Brute force is good. What alarms me is a method I've read about that uses the wheel and upper column as a slide hammer. This must knock the hell out of the instruments as well as the lamp filaments and switchgear.

Has anyone bothered to remove the steering lock engagement collar and fit it to the plain QR column. ?

(Very slight hijack there Nifty ).

I pulled mine out with a couple of ratchet straps arranged off the roll bar and steering wheel to give a fairly straight pull.

The steering lock assembly dragged out the top bush with minimum fuss.

I didn't realise I would need a new top bush, so that delayed my refitting (which also turned out to be easy).

MikeK

Paul,

In answer to your question, regarding fitting the steering lock to a Q/R column, I can't quite see the point but I do know that people have welded a quick release spline to the end of a standard shaft, having first cut the threaded section off.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬