Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

aerodynamics and your se7en

susser

Doing a bit of research on NACA ducts led me here it's a very non technical explanation of why a se7en doesn't slip through the air like a greased pig. Consider a 1 metre cube of air to have a weight of 1 kilogram and you'll see the size of the problem.

susser (1/2 🙆🏻d physicyst)

completely 🙆🏻d physicyst please line up here to argue units.

Yep - thats whu all hatches or estates are filthy. Remember a while ago one of the Fiat estates (tipo version?) had a slot in the roof (not a spoiler) which was supposed to reduce this and keep the rear window clean.

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

My BMW Touring has a little spoiler to trip the airflow that's trying to get down the rear window. That's all very well to reduce the low pressure area of the tailgate, but means that the air that gets there comes up from underneath and round the sides. Hence, as Angus says, they get covered in the 5 hit.

The spoiler in Angus' example Tipo acts in the same way as a leading edge slat of an aircraft wing, or maybe more like a Flap, in getting the air to make that sharp turn without detaching.

Rivetting stuff

A bicycle works wonders on a Focus...

I've been trogging up and down the M6 to Scotland most weeks - and the rear window on the Mk1 Focus gets fairly mucky.

I took my bike up on a carrier on the hatch a few weeks ago - I didn't need to clean the window once despite bad weather conditions (just as well as it would have torn the wiper off...)

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com