Click here if you are having website access problems ×

overheating

Westy7

i have got a problem with overheating,on my 1700 x flow, everytime we go out for a spin around the local country lanes i have to pullover due to the gauge blowing its top. The problem is caused by repeated air locks to the to hose connection on the block, i have checked the aluminium housing for cracks and the caps fine.Any one have a clue?

Edited by - westy7 on 25 May 2000 18:55:19

I used to have a 1700 X-flow Westfield, but the water system wouldn't replenish from the header tank, making it redundant.

The header tank was mounted in front of the 'SE' impression on the bulkhead and the hose went over the top of the carbs, between the air-filters and rocker cover; the lack of slope of the hose [i think] meant it just wasn't doing anything.

I had to keep an eye on the water level and keep topping up water into cap on block instead; then it was fine.

Also had 4-core radiator with fan to keep it cool; worked in summer even on Friday afternoon M25 jams.

Don't know if that lot is any help, but, as they say, knowledge is power. Keep us updated.

Thanks very much for both replies, firstly to Mike, i think i will replace the pressure cap for the cost, that will eliminate that as a possible solution, as i have had to clean it up in the past (looked like the inside of a kettle).

Matt, your old Westfield problem sound the same as my problem, only the temperature starts rising after half hour of driving? When i pull over and stop, i get a pressure built up and the res tank overflows, when i then check the cap on the top of the block the water levels has dropped below the top hose connection.

Anyway thanks very much for both your replies

Regards Lee (Westy7)

Edited by - westy7 on 27 May 2000 09:12:40