Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rumble in my engine. What could it be?

TopQ1967

Yesterday, after a nice evening Blat I heard a rumble (as something that is lose, metal rambling) under at the frond of the engine (VVC K-Series, Apollo fitted).

Earlier that evening my clutch wasn’t working properly, due to a lose gear leveller (hydraulic conversion). This was easily fixed during the Blat. (was rambled lose as well).

I am afraid that the engine is broke (or will break soon). So I don’t want to take it out again. But perhaps is not something seriously. Where can I start searching for damage? Preferable with the engine in, and not to much detachments.

Regards,

Quirin

Hi,

Checked all outside pulley’s

Removed front cam belt cover, noting lose, no play on tensioner.

Where is the oil pump (I am a novice K- Series concerned, only did A- Series in the past)?

What else is there at the front?

I checked the oil level, it was very low, perhaps a damaged some bearing at the front.

Can I check the main bearings (one by one) when the engine is still in?

I will first renew the oil to check if there is any metal dwarf in.

Any further help very appreciated

Regards

Quirin

I fyou can't find the problem then I suggest you take it to oilyhands (aka Dave andrews). I have just got back from his having had to fit new mechanisms to my VVC engine. We also dismantled the head to check for valve pull through but no problems. He also did a little fettling while it was in pieces 😬 *thumbup* Noises from a VVC are not nice. Mine sounded like a big end but was coming from the top of the engine. Upon examination, some numpty had removed the top ladder and upon re-assembly, used silicone sealant. This got into the oil wells and dried out the inlet cams and mechs. It was quite a noisey knocking sound. Suggest you speak to Dave about it. He was fantastic with mine and helped me source some second hand mechs.

Top bloke!

I had a similar problem last year when I sheared the locating pip off the lower lower cambelt sprocket (on the end of the crankshaft) that caused the fanbelt pully to flap around making a mettalic clanking sound.

Take the fan belt off and see if the lower pulley moves around on its own.

Ian