Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Autocom - Fitting

Shred-head

I've been toying with the idea of fitting an intercom system to my car and I have a few questions:

It is really worth it?

Where would I fit the components(boot/under bonnet/under dash)?

Can it all be fitted without any excessive clutter/wires all over the cabin?

Is there a better alternative to Autocom?

V11 CSR

• Support Team

Fits neatly on the rear bulkhead in the boot between the 2 diagonal chassis memebers. You'll need to run some power to it - I ran new cables (positive fused with inline fuse) down the transmission tunnel and terminated in a 2.4mm power socket. I then wired a 2.4mm jack to the power lead of the Autocom. The headset cables were then fed along the top of the bulhead and through the holes where the inertia reels would have been behind your shoulder. I have seen a very neat solution where the plugs were connected to a socket flush mounted in the bulkhead roughly where your elbows are. The cables for phone and music I ran along the transmission tunnel to terminate where the handbrake is.

I don't believe there is any better solution than the Autocom but some people recommend Starcom as a cheaper alternative. I have not compared the 2 so cannot comment but Autocom, once set up correctly, is excellent. Check the Autocom website for details.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Yes, it's really worth it. I never (well, hardly ever) have a passenger - and I still find it essential...

I have my GPS speedcamera unit plugged into it - and my phone - and when on tour, a PMR446 radio too...

I'll be modifying my satnav at some point too.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• 3 weeks later...

On my last car, I mounted the unit just in front of the gearlever, with the cables running down the side of the transmission tunnel, a bit messy and always a temporary solution. My new car is nearly finished and I was looking to find a more permanent solution, and behind the rear bulkhead looks good, BUT, I found that I needed access to the rotary "squelch" control, to compensate for more or less exterior noise, which is obviously impossible in the boot. Do others find that once set, it can be forgotten, or is it useful to have the unit reachable for this purpose?

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance! New CSR now finished, just awaiting SVA.

• Support Team

I have never had to adjust the setting on the Autocom. I have the Pro-7 unit which has recently been superceded. The Pro-7 only has a VOX sensitivity adjustment and once set that shouldn't need changing.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Mine is happily mouted on the transmission tunnel up by the air vents. Velcro'd on. Easy access to power, and the wires for the headsets run back up the transmission tunnel. They are then velcro mounted between the seat (run a velcro tongue out of the boot - it vecros on to the velcro on the headset strap) -- easy to pull off when you want it.

I need to access the volume and squelch to set correctly, although that said, I rarely use them, except for bluetooth calls.

Boot space is too valuable to give up to electronics.

My ... Preciousss!

Member #109**