Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Battery Master Switch Fitting ??

Jeff

I am in the process if fitting a battery master switch on my left hand drive 1990 dedion car. I will be fitting it in the standard spot between the two screen mounting bolts on the right hand side. It seems as if the wiper motor mount bracket under the scuttle could interfere with this fitting. I don't use the wipers and have removed the motor. I would prefer not to cut off the bracket. Will it fit?

Probably not Jeff, there is quite a lot of depth at the back of the switch and what with having to route the red battery cable too, the bracket will almost certainly be in the way. Why aren't you mounting it on the drivers side? Surely this would be much easier, and ensure that you are able to operate it from the drivers seat.

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance! [Except building up my new CSR kit, suspension finished, wings on, engine/gearbox in, currently connecting and filling.]

Er..........left hand drive in the USA Paul.........

If you've removed the wipers the bracket isn't doing much so go ahead & remove it. I don't think it's structural; just remember you'll need to re-site the earth bundle.

Unless you need the switch for competittion I'd ask myself why fit it? I've seen a few cars stranded because of problems with the switch. The long cable runs can cause starter problems because current to the starter is reduced. Also the switch should be replaced frequently as the contacts can deteriorate.

Thanks for the replies. I am rewiring the car and adding a starter button. I thought the battery master switch would provide security since I have removed the key. The car is used mostly for trackdays with some street use. Maybe just a hidden switch would be the easier solution?? Or would the battery master switch be desirable for trackdays? I really am not keen on cutting up the car. Any thoughts?

Jeff,

My 93 1400K ss (RHD) has the battery master switch fitted on the inside bulkhead near my right knee.

This works well for security use as it's out of sight and is easy to isolate the electrics when required.

Bruce.