Mcalvert

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Dear L7CGB,

I'm at Spa in my 21 for a trackday at the same time as the club day and I'd dearly LOVE to do the club day too, even if it is just a lap or two. I know it's not a 7 on the outside, but it IS on the inside and of 48 made, there are only 4 or 5 of us who do track driving and we feel VERY lonely sometimes as there aren't enough of us for our own trackday.

Thanks,

David '21' Pearson"

Dave

If there was a vote on this you would have mine.Given the 21 is just a posh seven i dont know why the rules exclude you .

Perhaps the organisers would review the reasons for the exclusion and make a special case on this occasion. *eek*

FWIW I think it's a farcical restriction - especially given the fact that the Caterham Seven is no more a Lotus Seven than the Caterham 21.

I'm sure it's a can of worms that no-one from the club wants opening - but if there's any way we can get Dave in on this day I think we jointly need to do it.

Jonny

BaT

Edited by - jonny5 on 28 Jul 2006 22:42:58

Thanks for your support! Honestly speaking, I believe the remaining problem is with the rule regarding FIA bars. I believe the club days require them? I did make a rather cheeky enquiry about borrowing the GTO 21 which comes with a full race cage, but that conversation got no further....

Well - I'll be joining you for the BAT day and will have to blag some passenger rides on the club day! I might make a few persistent cheeky requests for a "parade" lap at some point but at the end of the day, it is a L7C day and I have to abide by their rules.

HOWEVER, I will be acting like a complete lap hog on your day to make up for it... the more the better.

OK dave I hadn't realised the issue was with the rollover protection. If that's the case then I can 100% understand it. I would love to be in a position financially to turn away the various kit-cars we see turn up with inadequate rollover protection. Sadly I know they'd just go to the competition so instead I use it as an excuse to try and educate them into getting better rollover protection in future.

Jonny

BaT

The thing is - after long conversations with MSV for instance, they have confirmed that the windscreen on a 21 is sufficient rollover protection (they looked into it apparently). The 21 is never going to have "FIA" rollover protection.

A couple of the 21s have hoops and I CAN confirm that a 21 owner has rolled his car and came out unscathed.

Sticky point. However - I would imagine that the road cars on track days don't necessarily have separately FIA approved rollover protection - therein lies possibly the problem, the 21 is a bit of a halfway house between a 7 and a road car. (Though closer to the 7 end I feel).

Had a chat with someone yesterday who was involved in the original discussions about whether to allow 21's in the 7's events (years and years ago). Opinion was split right down the middle. One consideration was that if caterham had evolved the 21 further, or started a new line of cars further removed from the 7, where would the line be drawn on participation?

At the time, it was a valid argument. Now? Not so sure. I firmly believe that the FIA answer is a convenient one... I have taken numerous straw polls on here about the 21 being allowed to be involved (and I know I keep harping on about it, but that's my job) and I'm sure there are no objections from the 7 owning crowd (unless the day is full, then they'd probably bitch like mad if I took a space).

However - if there is space at an event like Spa, and the club feels able to let me join in on an "exceptional circumstances" ruling, as I said before, I'd be grateful.

FWIW we have a restriction on BaT days that any cars without suitable rollover protection cannot run sticky tyres - thereby reducing the risk of the grip exceeding the handling and them being rolled. Perhaps a similar restriction for non-FIA caterhams could be considered for this event.

For clarification - there is no issue with BaT's PL insurance on this matter - I can't speak for the club though obviously.

Jonny

BaT