Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick Rack

Delberts Wallet

Well I would say the 22% rack is one of the best mods you can make. I went from the std in '93 'Mini' (0% !) rack to the 22 with no trouble. Colour is black.

Arnie. Is your rack worn,(joke!) 'cos mine is 1.6 turns lock-lock on a std (not wide) track car? Maybe w/track is different though I can't see why.

Not twitchy.

Gearing is a funny thing. Although you don't have to move the wheel as far, the force required is larger. Therefore the 22% is actually steadier - less prone to change when you twitch.

If a 22% equipped car is twitchy, it is because the chassis has been set up to be twitchy. The rack itself just transmits the feedback and mechanically translates the input - it itself cannot make the car twitchy.

Peter,

I think the twitchiness was being attributed to the excessive movements of the wheels that result from people unaccustomed to 1.6 turns lock to lock rather than the forces involved being transmitted through the steering wheel.

Most folk, especially in these days of power steering on everything, turn the steering wheel by "a number of degrees" rather than apply a force to the wheel.

Result :- the car is wandering by so much, so I turn the wheel this much - result... car dives for the nearest hedge as the wheels turn 3 times more than the driver intended.

You can do the same in reverse by getting into a truck which has 7 turns lock to lock and trying to negotiate the first junction. After putting on what seems at the outset to be a reasonable number of turns you'll find the truck still heading more or less straight across the junction at speed, it then becomes a sudden race to put on as many turns as possible, really really quickly. At this point I can assure from experience it seems like infinite turns from lock to lock.

You could not however say the steering is mushy, it just requires more input at less force. Exactly the reverse of the 22% rack.

Of course you could question the intelligence of the truck designer to require such massive numbers of turns on a truck with power steering which doesn't actually need the gearing to turn the wheels even when laden... I did. smile.gif

Cheers, Simon.

Its also worth remembering that changing the rack from the 0% type means the rack height needs to be set.

Also several different blck heights exist for the quick racks.

An incorrectly set rack height will give mild bump steer. This could be described as "twitchiness"

Peter

"Gearing is a funny thing. Although you don't have to move the wheel as far, the force required is larger. Therefore the 22% is actually steadier - less prone to change when you twitch."

But for a given force on the roadwheel, the quick rack will also cause the steering wheel to move further.

Is it this greater movement of the steering wheel (and this could be bump steer see above)which gives a greater impression of twitchiness? The bump steer may be less prominenat with a slower rack......

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

It is interesting to note that when Caterham lent Lotus (YES) a 7 as a handling benchmark for developing the Lotus Elan FWD, Lotus returned the 7 to Caterham with a few "pointers" on handling.

One of the recommendations they made was to increase the amount of on lock toe out bump steer. This was reckoned to make the car more stable over a bumpy road!

8JU