Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter switch suggestions...?

Doug

I'm in the process of getting rid of the column starter arrangement because I keep knocking the key with my knee and turning the engine off *eek*.

I've bought a red starter button from Farnell (and a black one for the horn), but am in something of a dilemma as to how best switch the ignition on and off. Given that the car has an immobiliser fitted, the ignition switch is really only to switch off the engine. However, I want the thing to look as if it's been carefully thought out and not just plonked on the dash at random.

I'm considering a toggle switch with a red cover; classic type Lucas ignition dash switch but am not keen to go down the external ignition cut off switch route.

I'd be very interested to hear the views of those who've been here and those considering doing the same.

• Support Team

I've got an aircraft style toggle switch with the flip cover - £10 or so from SVC - plus a big red starter button. The flip switch takes the place of the ignition barrel - you'll probably need to extend the wires though depending on where you site the flip switch. Some info on fitting a starter button is here.

Edited to say - its a good move. You can bin the entire ignition barrel which is a fair old weight. Removing it will normally involve drilling out the bolts as they are the type that the heads shear off to prevent removal by thieves. If you are lucky the builder will not have sheared them off and they can be unbolted.

I have a Stack dash so where I sited the flip switch won't be much help to you. However I would say be careful that it is not sited in a position where it could easily be knocked by either driver or passenger!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 13 Mar 2006 17:36:32

Thanks Shaun. Any advantage in having 'doomsday' switch over classic type Lucas key barrel stwitch on dash? (apart from the absence of a key fob flopping about).

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

• Support Team

I just didn't want to have to carry a key around that I could forget about and leave in the car 😳. That and it looks cool *cool*. I have got an immobiliser fitted though which works through a proximity sensor.

Yellow SL *cool* #32