Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow Alloy Head

DohNut

Was in Vulcan on saturday and had a good rummage around the workshop.

They had an as recieved alloy cylinderhead ready for unpgrading to Maxiflow2.

I had only seen it in the Burton catalogue but it is made in the US by a manifold company. It is imported by WebCon (WeberCarbs)

firstly it is very light in comparision with the standard head, secondly the valve centers are more widely spaced so there is more meat between the valves which reduces the cracking tendancy. - Not that you would really get cracking as both the inlet and exhaust have seat inserts.

From the tuning point of view there is a lot of scope to enlarge the ports.

I will have to go back and see what kind of power it makes - it is going into a Mk2/Mk3 Caterham. *smile*

I had just driven up from Think auto where I got a good price on some hoses and then he reminded me of the club discount *thumbup*

A good morning all in all 😬

Nick

• Area Representative

Michael Calvert (MCalvert on here) has one of these, and very nice it is too. As more and more heads are scrapped due to cracking between the valve seats, they're bound to become a more common sight. I wouldn't mind one myself, I must admit *smile*

Being an Imp nut before Caterham fever took hold, the first time I picked up a X/F cylinder head I really couldn't believe how heavy it was - not far short of a whole Imp engine *eek*

Crudders

I was not really paying attention 😳

I think it was between 5 and 10% but as I had just found I could get some nice blue hose for half the price of silicone that could be used for water or fuel (which std silicone cant) the trip was already a success. 😬

Nick

• Leadership Team

Hmm - Guilty as charged - Alloy head AND silicone hoses!

Seriously though, having had a big valve head from Vulcan that went like stink, but lasted only 2 seasons of track days and sprints, the alloy head seemed to make sense. It is MUCH lighter and better designed with the repositioned plugs allowing more material between the valves.

Car still goes like stink, and I;ve had the head for 18 months now without problem. Time will tell how long it lasts this time, but at least I feel that I've maximised my chances..

Michae.l.

Micheal

The big question (other than reliability for you) is how much power 🤔

Assuming that you moved from a Maxiflow 2 iron head to a Maxiflow 2 alloy head with the same cam - was there a direct comparison of power due to the improved ports and valve spacing?

Nick