Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

So what's the trick of mating the K engine to the bellhousing and gearbox?

old captain slow

You have aligned the cluch properly - not by eye right?

the engine needs to be canted over slighlty and then as you get the gearbox shaft into the clutch plactes, release the jack / whatever under the car and gigle the engine & box together.

I've done a few this way now, and it just takes a bit of time. A good bit of weight behind the engine usually helps *wink*

• Area Representative

Where's the engine come from?

It may be that the crank is not drilled deep enough for the gearbox input shaft to fully engage.

I fitted a VHPD engine to a car recently. The crank had come from an Elise installation. I had to shorten the gearbox input shaft by some 10-12mm with and angle grinder.

(If I'd have thought about it before fitting the sleeve and spigot bearing, I'd have drilled the crank deeper ☹️)

I always think it's easier and less likely to cause damage if the gearbox and engine are removed and replaced as a unit.

If you're still struggling perhaps it might be worth considering removing the gearbox and mating the two together and putting back in as a whole *confused*

I appreciate that probably isn't the answer you wanted to hear but it may be the quicker solution in the long term. *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Good point Richard *thumbup*

If I'm correct then 1400s tended to have longer gearbox input shafts and the corresponding deeper drilling in the crank.

Swapping from a 1400 to a larger engine often requires that extra to be removed from the gearbox shaft ... lets hope I remember in a few months time when I fit my VHPD *tongue* 😬

And on a slightly more positive note -

Unless you have the two lined up (almost) exactly they will not slot togethor.

On Wednesday I slotted a x-flow in and it took ~30 seconds the align and fall in to place. (When they're in line it sometimes seems that teh gearbox sucks the engine onto it 🤔 *confused*)

Have a trolley jack under the bellhousing helps - this allows you to alter the angle of approach for the engine.

Dave.

p.s. - in teh past I've taken at least as long as yourself, including removing clutch plate and refitting/re-aligning from scratch just too make sure.

Never put off till tomorrow what can be enjoyed today 😬

Dave,

Simply put something down the crank drilling on both engines and compare depth ..

..... or just read Mick's Email.

Why don't I read threads properly before I post 😳 😳

Edited by - Nifty on 11 Mar 2006 21:28:20

David,

I think you will need to take an agle grinder to the input shaft on the gearbox. IIRC its 13mm you need to chop off. Had same problem with Tony Cranes 1400-1800 conversion......

I'm assuming you end up with the bellhousing about 5-10mm from closed onto the rear of the engine? If they do not get this close, then the problem is elsewhere. Some early cars also had a different sized spigoit bearing whihc could also be an issue.

K2 RUM - The 7 in front of you is a DIESEL

Dave,

I've been in this situation when I swapped my 1600K for a modified 1800VVC. You probably need to trim the g/box input shaft as already suggested. Removing the gearbox from the car only takes a few minutes and will allow you to check both the amount you have trimmed and the clutch alignment properly. Both times I have removed the engine from my car I ended up with the gearbox out as well. As long as you can lift the combined engine/gearbox high enough to get them back in I think this is the best way to go. When you compare the depth of the drilling in the end of the crankshaft it will be obvious if the new one has been drilled out or not. *thumbup*

Regards,

Neil

Yup the input shaft is too long. B***er. Just waiting for Homebase to open at 10 to enhance the toolbox with angle grinder. *cool*

Many thanks for the photos Mick. It look like we need to take about 3/4" off the end and that matches your photo showing 1 1/8" to the splines.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hope the repairs are progressing well Arnie. Seems you have found the chassis limit but still willing to put more power through it!

C7 CDW

Edited by - David W on 12 Mar 2006 09:01:23

David;

Once you get that angle grinder in your hand, take the trouble to cut the heads off a couple of the long M12 bolts. (The important point here is to make sure they are not the ones you are going to use to bolt it together( a couple of plasticine 8.8s are adequate)).

Use these to form a couple of guides. That way the gearbox/engine will line up as long as you make sure the axis(es) are in line.

'spect you've already got it on by now. *eek*

PC uses an old cutdown input shaft as a clutch alignment tool .. so simple and can't be wrong .. it's genius.

I shall probably have a word with BGH and see if they have one kicking about that I can butcher.

• Leadership Team

I use a socket in my kit that fits snuggly in the spigot bearing (10 or 11mm IIRC), attached to a medium length socket extension. Never fails *thumbup*

Also, make sure the gearbox is not in-gear, enabling the splined shaft to turn freely *thumbup*

Stu.

Thanks for all the feedback. We have it in and done. Pulled out the gearbox again having just put it back after rebuiding it (Road and Race). Took the bell housing off. Shortened the input shaft using Micks pics as a guide. Used the gearbox a clutch alignment tool. Put it all back togather in about 15 minutes. Then took it apart again and put in the clutch release lever. 😳

Slotted the whole string into the car and just haver the engine mounts to fix now. *thumbup*

C7 CDW