Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series Windage Plate

old captain slow

As some of you may know Will and I are in the process of putting a 1600K into his 7 in place of the 1400K that bought it at Croix. Well we got round to fitting the sump last night. While putting the baffle plate in place a lump fell out of it around a mounting bolt hole. On examining the plate more closely we noticed it had fatigue cracking at each of the 4 bolt holes and that the aluminium had gone brittle.

I mention this since we have been running without the foam insert and I wonder whether the fatigue is caused by vibration that would otherwise have been controlled/damped by the presence of the foam. If this is the cause then it might be worth a check next time you have the sump off if like us you have ditched the foam.

Any other instances of this? Caterham thought not many since they don't have much call for replacement plates, but if removal of the foam is a new thing per recent threads on the subject, then this failure may be a new thing too.

C7 CDW

• Leadership Team

I've always run with the foam, and there's evidence of fatigue around the 2 end holes *thumbdown* So bang goes that theory! Mine's not bad enough to justify replacement, but I'm swapping to dry sump anyway.

I think the fatigue may simply be the result of numrous changes of the foam during 20,000 miles of use.

Stu.