Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MBE 956 ECU - still for sale, price reduced

Paul Deslandes

Paul,

Does the 912 give 3D mapping if fitted with a throttle pot? I currently have a MBE 906VVV on a dizziless VX2.0 on twin 45s. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade from the 906?

Would the 906VVV loom fit the 912?

Possibly interested if it would give 3D ignition mapping.

Tim

Hi Tim

The 912V3 does give 3D mapping with the throttle pot and I certainly noticed an improvement in performance, particularly smoothness and economy. I don't know if the existing loom will plug straight in - somehow I doubt it - but it wouldn't be too difficult to add the pot connections and change the connector, depending on how confident you are with doing the wiring. Its a pity you're not a bit nearer otherwise I would have been happy to help you do it. You'll also have to make up a way of fitting the pot to the carbs although I may still have the bits I used, to which you are very welcome.

I changed from a distributor/coil set up on my '95 Vx car so I didn't have the original ecu. Unfortunately I traded in the loom when I went to injection.

I'll blatmail you my number in case you want to have a chat about it

Paul

Paul, if Tiny Tim is not interested can I have second dibs on the 912 please. Maybe the 956 would do me. I currently have Alpha 3D but is not easy to get tuned, whereas MBE is supposedly easy to find tuners. Would welcome your thoughts.

Cheers

Dave B

You will need a new map to use the 912V3 in place of a 906. The 912 V3 isa much more advanced ECU than the 906,that said the 912 is completely obsolete by todays stds as it uses Eproms rather than EEproms or Flash for the map storage. Not many people have Eprom blowers these days...

Unless the 912V3 has an ignition map for an engine of the same spec as yours, has come off an engine with the std crank sensor, and you have the software to set up the TPS position, (easimap dos not work for this, and the proper software will not run on a PC faster than an 8mhz processor - it is a 1992 vintage ECU)) its probably a fruitless exercise.

I used to have the software but I gave it to Aves. He upgraded from 912V3 a while ago but may still have a copy.........

Thanks for your most helpful comments Arnie! By the way, are you still interested in the boot cover?

This 912V3 has a 3D ignition map for a standard 2.0l Vx engine ex Caterham factory running on 45 Webers. If your engine is the same spec this ECU will work fine with its present map and is a low cost way of getting 3D ignition. The throttle pot can be set up using a millivolt meter and is easy to do.

I would not advocate trying to use the 912 for a fuel injection setup, although that was what it was designed to do, because mapping is very difficult by today's standards and, as Arnie notes, you have to blow an EPROM to save the new map, even assuming you can get someone to map it in the first place.

The 956 could be used for ignition only but IMHO would be a waste unless you are planning to go injection in some form in the future.

They're both still up for grabs until the fat lady (or gentleman!) sings.

Paul, Not mean't to be -ve, but this stuff can get a bit tricky. If the map is for Std VX then things should be much simplified, and the TPS position is less critical on an ignition only setup. In answer to the other question the pugs for the906 and 912 are different. That said the V3 is an injection ECu, You should be able to obtain a 912 plug at GWR Motorsports (speak to Steve) in Swindon. Dir Enq should have their number.