Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To widetrack conventionally, or to go push rod?

CageyH

If it was your choice, what would you do?

Caterham widetrack, or freestyle push rod Widetrack.

I am tempted by the clean look of the pushrod, but wondered how much advantage the push rod would be over a conventional set up.

I am also tempted by the feedback from freestyle users with respect to use on less than perfect roads, where the car feels more planted.

I have a bonus burning a hole in my pocket...

Main use is road, with occasional track.

I think I must be.

Freestyle push rod is more expensive than the caterham widetrack kit (by about the amount of a dry sump & pump).

Is it really going to give me much more benefit?

Edited by - CageyH on 7 Mar 2006 21:13:47

Freestyle pushrod *thumbup* It's worth it for pub talk alone 😬

When I ordered my new car, I decided to go for the full Freestyle suspension at the time and once Gary had set it all up, the car felt very confidence inspiring. A definite *thumbup* for Gary & Freestyle.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

It does look cool, in my opinion.

It does give less drag, as there is less in the air flow. You may not notice the difference though.

And it will cost more, so I will have less money in the bank.

Why were my statements rubbish?

• Support Team

Nitron one way adjustable dampers and springs to suit will set you back just under £1200 according to their web site prices. Somewhat foolishly I didn't actually check when I ordered mine (arrive soon 😬) so may be in for a surprise 😳.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 9 Mar 2006 08:08:10

I have the Freestyle pushrod on my R400, it's a great set-up and does make a big difference on the bumpy B-roads *thumbup*

On track my car appears to be faster around the slower corners than the standard R400 set up (mate has standard set-up and we have followed each other around, Oulton, cadwell, etc) although I've had my dampers on road setting's. on the faster corners there is little difference - but maybe I'm not pushing hard enough?

R400 .......... I love it

With respect to improving the ride.....

Is it that the freestyle dampers are good or that the drop in unsprung rate helps the ride? Bearing in mind that the drop in unsprung weight is a fraction of the weight of the damper/spring, I would have thought that most of the benefit came from the dampers that freestyle use, rather than the pushrod system.

• Support Team

From what I have read, the improvement in theory should come from the fact that more of the damper travel is used in the inboard set up or it allows a longer damper stroke and therefore uses the full abilities of the damper. I have also read that the setup results in a rising rate - not sure exactly what that means but have always understood it to be "a good thing" as the further into the travel, the "stiffer" the suspension gets.

I guess a standard set up with quality dampers that are designed to meet the desired responses and have a rising rate will be very nearly as good as the pushrod setup.

I'm no expert but this is all my understanding - I wait to be corrected. *smile*

Edited to say that the unsprung weight can be massively improved with lighter wheels and tyres. I have just switched from Minators with A048Rs to Caterham 8 spokes with CR500s and the ride has improved massively and the bumpy B-road performance has also improved hugely.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 9 Mar 2006 10:31:57