Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re wiring the car

Seven in SA

Hello,

I looked at the wires hanging down from the dash and decided that whoever wired my car somewhat bodged it. There are broken wires and bits of insulator tape holding the things together. I think this effecting my indicators because to get them to work you have to fiddle with the wires.

I have hit upon the bright idea of replacing all the wires that look dodgy. My thought was to replace one at a time as I have no real experience in this sort of thing. I figure that by doing it one at a time I cannot connect something up wrong and damage the car.

Will this be OK or is there a better way?

Thank you

Nic

Nic just a thought, but for all the work that you put in to tidy the wiring, that is all that you may end up with, a tidy replica of that which is now present, if you feel the problems with the indicators is being caused by the wiring it is probably poorly made connections, rather than the wiring itself, so maybe take a few minutes to check the terminals and wiring joints, this would be easier than pulling out single conductors from the loom, less chance of damaging other circuits, also it would be worth trying to determine where the wires that are hanging in space are terminated, what is the age of your car? as there are some reasonable wiring diagrams in Tony Weales 7 restoration book, hope this is of some help, Nigel.

If you are looking to eventually replace the whole loom, why not buy a replacement loom and spend a couple of days putting it in place. That way, all the wire colours will be correct and the car can still maintained by a 3rd party.

Failing that, at least use a reasonable supplier of electrics (such as Vehicle Wiring Products 0115-930 5454) so taht you get the correct current capacity and colour scheme for the wires that you replace. Nothing is more confusing to repair than a loom of black and red wires.

Replacing individual wires,one at a time,will

probably mean opening up most of the loom anyway,I think it would be easier to take the

loom out completely and work on it laid out on the floor(the loom that is).You could use bullet connectors to join wires making a neater job!If you need any diagrams,I

have large A3 diags for Xflow cars that I could post to you.if you need any advice you can call me on 0161 6818015(h)or 07860233252(m).

Cheers john Hall

C7 POW.