Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best way to swap engine/ gearbox?

TopQ1967

Hi,

What is the best way (fastest) to swap an engine?

With or without a gearbox fitted?

I have a spare engine (R400), and currently a VVC 1800 unit connected to a six- speed CC gearbox.

Is it better to look to a new gearbox for my R400 engine (for a faster swap) or is this a waste of money?

Regards,

Quirin

Can't see any good reason why you'd want to change the gearbox. There have been a number of revisions and minor mods over the years though - but if you've not had any problems, I'd be tempted to leave it.

With Silver-7, V7SLR and Mav/PP, I have swapped engines in and out both ways - with and without the box.

The advantage with the box fitted is that you can get the crank and gearbox input shafts aligned out of the car - sometimes it can be a pig to get everything lined up if you leave the box in the car. Disadvantages include the need to drain the box and the need (ideally) for an extra pair of hands (under the car) and for more space and precision during the removal.

Worth a bit of swearing to get everything lined up? Probably not (I hate gearbox oil - and there's more to pull apart - gearstick, speedo drive etc.etc.)

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I agree, having recently had the engine and gearbox out of my car. put them together outside the car and install as one unit. It will be far less hassle and you can make sure you get the allignment absolutely correct.

I wouldn't change the gearbox if it is working well.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)