Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5-spd gearbox

Klaus Loske

Klaus, the later Sierra gearboxes were known as MT75, and are of heavier construction than the T9 'box, I'm unable to tell you when the MT75 was installed, sorry, when the gear boxes were made they were fitted with an identity tag, this would be attached to one of the bolts that hold the "tail" housing to the 5th gear casing, and would have the numbers 839T FE stamped on it, and some other numbers, this tag may have been removed if the gearbox has had any work done on it, another way to identify a 5 speeder is to look at the casing, where the input shaft enters there will be an iron gear casing, containing most of the gears, and then there will be an alloy casing, this contains the 5th gear, and finally there will be a tapered alloy housing with the output shaft and the selector rod housing, the gear stick is mounted with 3 TORX screws to the rear housing. It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words and that would be the case here, if you need any more info, e-mail me and I'll endeavour to help, hope this has been useful, regards Nigel.

Klaus,

Some of the later 5 speeders as fitted to the CVH and DOHC variants are the MT75.

The type '9'/'N' is characterised by having a separate bellhousing and a smooth iron main casing, a smaller aluminium tail housing and an aluminium tail casing.

There is a document which helps to identify the Ford gearboxes here, it may help.

There are two variants, the type 'N' which has a shorter input (first motion) shaft (6.9 inches) and is fitted to 4 cylinder variants of the Sierra / Cortina / Taunus /Granada and the type '9' which is broadly similar but has the longer 8.1 inch input shaft and slightly better ratios and is fitted to the 6 cylinder variants of the Sierra/ Cortina / Taunus and Granada.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 15 Jan 2002 10:19:47

Klaus

If it is in a Caterham it is unlikely to be a MT75, they don't fit. Two other simple identifiers for a type 9, there will be a aluminium sandwich between the gearbox and the bellhousing (x-flow only) and reverse will be left and forward, the MT75 reverse is opposite 5th.

Paul

Klaus

I have a Tran-X straight cut kit with a 2.39 first gear in my race car. Never given any problems and copes with the 200bhp and twin plate clutch. Never missed a gear with it or graunched it on a change no matter how fast I change.

The cheaper Quaife kits don't have roller bearings on the gears

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif