Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump pan protection

SouthernBanana

If you are wearing out the sump by scraping, raise the ride height by 5 or 10mm.

If you are running too low, you will end up having a big hit one day.

My last one here snapped the engine mount on the exhaust side.

I was lucky, as it is cheaper to replace than a sump.

Since then, I have raised the ride height to 80mm clearance, and am yet to have a scrape.

If it is just for scrapes, then it may work. Does it extend all the way over the sump?

Have you thought about the lack of airflow and resultant cooling?

It may be worth having some holes in it?

The engine should never bottom out from compression on a level (side to side) road. Otherwise something drastically wrong with the design.

Main issue is where ther is a high raised camber in the centre or edges dipping away reducing clearance beween the wheels at centreline of car.

Peter

um. this is now after 13 hours blatting over two days, great fun. The sump guard makes an awful noise, so at least the wear has stopped for now. I do not like it being attached to the chassis. Only thing I like less is no protection at all, given the state of wear. I recall I used to have nearly 10cm, not sure where that went, I'll have to do some measuring. Make sure it's not my imagination playing tricks with me. The sump guard has eaten away a large chunk of clearance, so now not sure if I was touching before or not, probably was but unaware of the extent because ally degrades silently. Only problem is the cold, which makes a change. So I will worry about heat next Spring/Summer. Yes, have seen it discussed in here. Yes thought holes might help.. but by then it'll look different :-)

Considering seeing if the existing item can be modified to be like Peter's, but a bit longer. I don't see why it could not be done quite easily. Have to deal with the fabricator's attachment to his art work, it's his baby as it were.

Also want to protect the base plate of the dry sump/bell housing, since I practically sheered it off completely a month or so ago (lost most of my oil 😳). Probably that which broke my (here it comes!) LHS engine mountiing, I replaced that only a week ago and the last two days are the testing process *cool*

Hereabouts the ground clearance hazards are sleeping policemen (fairly tame, especially compared to the one that practically broke my DS baseplate off), cobble stones (lots of them and uneven), raised man holes (lots), amazing road ruts crevasses and the like, not many but grievous on occasion. Only seen one rock, in the Alps it would one one-a-mile so to speak (or km). Tried a track but thought better of it in view of this subject.

The plate makles a resounding "clang!" when it grounds. Nothing high speed.

update

after 20 hours of driving the new sump guard appears to be working well, perhaps I should say sounds well, given the noise it makes.

I have (had) inserted thick plastic pipe between the space frame tubes and the "hands" of the ally sheet that grip said tubes, to offer some of the protection that eugene's ARB bushes suggestion would achieve. I will keep this bits under constant review.

Reading the above what is not apparent is that the fairly large ally plate is flexed in such a way that it grips the space frame very firmly so any chafe or other movement will first have to beat the grip of the plate itself upon the car, and now the plastic tube "liner".

The loss of ground clearance is 15mm, leaving me about 55m. I have decided I prefer this loss than to continue scraping away what is left of my (dry sumped) sump.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.