Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-drilling wheel to change PCD - is it possible?

4ster

Having changed my Ital axle to English, I am left with these 14 inch Revolution wheels with A539 tyres here. They are quite useful for occasional road use when I don’t want to use the stickies, so is it a practical proposition to re-drill them to Ford PCD?

Anyone ever done this or have views as to whether it is safe?

I think that it should be possible. You would need to drill out and counterbore on the new PCD and then turn up some bushes with the new conical seats. Many years ago I did this to some magnesium Minilites (but I think that the change in PCD was less).

Unless you have access to a mill and a lathe, I can't see that it would be cost effective.

Paul

Alan, I changed my Ital axle to ford and had the half shafts re-drilled to Ital pcd 😳.

The old holes were closed with a steel insert which was tack welded in. New wheel studs were pressed in, worked a treat *cool* (so far)

Cost was abott £16 each half shaft.

Regards John.

On this subject and a slight hijack there are some Prisoner wheels on e-bay with the Ital PCD. How have they done that then as they say they are not drilled ? I didn't think any had been made with Ital PCD, or have I not been paying attention again ? I have deliberately not posted a link so as not to advertise for someone else, as some on here are touchy about it, but you know where to look

Edited by - Graham Perry on 6 Mar 2006 19:03:31

A bit O/T.

Back in the late 60s a friend of mine had a Minivan (1963 vintage) as his first car. This guy was mad about cars & raced go-karts (as they were called then), so this minivan was driven everywhere on the absolute limit. Unfortunately, on early Minis, BMC, in their infinite wisdom, had used too thin a gauge of steel for the wheel centres. Result; one by one his wheels fell off! I was in the van when the N/S front let go, doing about 40mph, just entering a RH bend, there was a clunk, the N/S front dropped onto the lower ball joint nut & gouged a hole in the road, the wheel trundled off into the ditch. His resigned comment: "Oh bu99er, there goes another one!" *smile*