Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump tanks

Swiss_Tony

We are working on a warning for low level in the dry sump tank , probably using a similar setup to the one fitted to many family cars with the electrical resistance on the end of the dipstick .

Keep a close eye on the general condition of your dry sump belt , the belt shouldnt come off as long as its the correctly fitted with the correct number of groves .

Just check the oil level in the sump tank every trackday session or every 500 -750 mile on the road .

dave

As a minimum, fit an oil pressure warning light and make it big or in the line of sight. I use an amber Stack shift light for this which fits the normal indicator light hole in the dash.

The belts do come off although thankfully not often. Mine came off when it threw an alternator belt for some reason. The warning light saved my engine.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 15 Jan 2002 08:49:01

If this is on a Caterham K-series dry sump installation it is easy to fit a belt warning switch. The belt has a spring loaded tensioner, so you arrange a courtesy light door switch to ride against the tensioner. When the belt falls off the tensioner snaps back and the switch closes - you link this to whatever suitable early warning arrangement.

Because the belt driven pump is purely a scavenge pump this will give you several seconds warning during which there is no possibility of damage as the pressure pump will still be working properly.

Because I run an Apollo tank as well as the dry sump, the symptoms of a low oil level in the tank will be a slightly reduced oil pressure. I run a pressure switch to give me early warning of this. (and that, incidentally, is why I am running the Apollo tank...)