Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump

John Howe

PLease Alex that would be great, As for the passenger well Liz gets as much fun out of the car as I do and we are both tall And we tour a lot in the car with the se7ens lot. so I ain't giving up the footwell!!! And further more Liz also commutes to the hospital in winter so ditching the heater is not a good option A midwife with cold hands is not a good idea.

Chris,

On the exhaust side of the head oil gathers aroudn the spring seats, since the engine is canted it doesn't naturally flow down the oil drains which are designed for a perpendicular installation. Where I can I have eased the drain slots which lead into the bolt hole drains to allow more of the oil to drain on the two outside groups of spring seats, for the two inside groups which effectively have no drains I have drilled a small hole through the webbing that constitutes the support for the bolt tunnel, allowing oil to drain from the inner two groups into the bolt holes and thence to the sump.

Oily

Any more info on the QED DS system? Like who's making the pump and other bits, would it fit in a Caterham, is a tank included etc etc

Would a sump pan designed for the Elise be bad for a canted engine like in the Caterham?

I like the idea of having the pump on the exhaust side since my alternator is on the other side.

Tor Atle

I think you do it by eye in the Pace ones. The oil covers a certain plate that's visible through the filler. If it drops below, you need oil.

Anything that gets rid of the carppy Caterham dipstick is a blessing. Almost worth doing the dry sump thing for that!

On the Pace tank the oil level should be checked with the engine running or immediately after switch off. The level should be about 1cm below the baffle visible through the filler. The action of the oil dripping through the holes in the baffle helps get the air bubbles out of the oil as it drains down. If the level is set at or above the baffle plate the tank can't work properly. Sorry if this contradicts Andy's advice above but as far as I know he has a wet sump and an Apollo tank.