Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine

Geoff Dixon

....and I thought I had problems with my little Renault Clio runabout....18 months old, 18000 miles....brakes a little rough feeling after being it had been laid up in my garage for three weeks over Xmas whilst away on holiday. Thought it might be surface rust on the discs but didn't clear.

Took the front wheels off on Saturday to find that the discs have completely rotted away....simply no braking surface whatsoever on their inner faces.

Main agents response....."to be expected sir, on a low mileage car, of that age!!!!!" I can't type what my response was to that.

When I suggested that altho' out of warranty this should be considered by them, they said 'No chance'

I am not going to take this lying down and will take it further, but my sympathy is extended to anyone else trying to 'claim' for duff products.

Andrew

Import car Arnie, you dont get the extended warranty as per UK car and I did not buy a separate warranty.

Mileage 75,000 miles - was due a service at 74,000 which included timing belt change.

Was going to book it in next week.

1,000 miles overdue !!

Whatever, to change the belt you have to take the engine out and it is 22 hours work at around £60 per hr.

Big regret that I took the money instead of a company car, and I assume serves me right for getting an Alfa !

Commiserations Geoff.

I had a Co. 'Lantra' that needed a cam belt change. Had it booked in for its service and belt change. Collected the car after they rang & I said it seemed quick re. belt etc. They explained it was out of stock, but it'd be OK 'till they got one in. It broke less than a thousand miles later (six days) Expensive!!!

I thought it was bad when my wife (an 'ex' one now of a long time!) complained that the clutch was 'playing up and slipping' on the car. She'd driven to Winchester & back (about a twenty five mile round trip). As I'd only changed it some two months ago I was less than happy.

Started engine & found 'clutch fault' in five seconds. Lifted bonnet, put plug lead that was hanging down back on no 4 s/plug; all well!!!

AAaaaaaagggghhhh.