Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting New Plug and HT leads

ian.hoper

Hi Technicians .

Numpty question . Doing some winter upgraditis on the old 1600 X/flow for Spring launch and have a bee in my bonnet about replacing the plug leads and coil to distributor lead as about 8 years old now and as all new silicone red pipes etc fitted and colour co -ordinated a nice set Magnecore red jobbys from Burton will make it look pretty when I take the bonnet off to show off at noggins with all the winter bulling.

It has Lumenition Ignition and I think a Lucas distributor.

First question is ,as its a top entry dist/cap should I fit a side entry one as all a bit tight up there under the Webbers .

Did see a posting on this and went and got a Bosh Fiat one then realised it would not fit unless I had the full Bosh set up ,so had to take it back .

Can't see on Burton that they do just a Lucas Cap side entry jobby?

Question 2

Am I silly interfering with it at all as its all working well at the moment .

Question 3

Are the leads easy to fit, if I do get the set and the long lead back to the Coil.

do they just push/screw in or something ?

Thanks in advance.

Ian Hoper

• Leadership Team

Ian,

I can't comment on the cap as my setup is different, but as for changing the leads, I would say it's probably a good precaution after that length of time, and Magnacor offer an excellent product, and great after-sales service if you ever have a problem.

Yes, the leads do just push in, but a couple of things to check

1)It's surprisingly easy to get the leads mixed up, so change them one at a time and label them - I use cable ties to denote 1,2,3,4 from the front of the engine at BOTH ends of the leads

2) The leads have boots at the end of them, and it is quite easy to think that the connectors are well engaged, when instead, it is just the boots holding the leads on. If you pull the boots up the cable a bit, you can ensure that the connectors are well engaged, the push the boots down.

I don't believe that top quality leads like Magnacor will ever add power, but poor leads can certainly make problems and rob you of some.

Regards,

Michael.

Hello Ian and Micheal, how are you both?

I have side exit cap with Magnecor and never had a problem. My engine revs to 9000 (on limiter, Toger says good for 12k but rebuild every year)

We had a furious argument about plug leads a while back and I totally agree with Micheal. If you want to maintain top performance then use quality leads. It will NOT improve but will maintain.

I'm sure you can get a side exit cap from Burtons. I can't find my catalogue at the moment but if you ring them they're very helpfull.

I cable tie my leads but only do the first 3, The lead with nought is fourth.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Magnecor leads were supplied with each numbered 1 - 4. I don't know if this is still the case. Do read the comprehensive fitting instructions supplied.

Replace the rotor arm as well as the dissy.cap

prisonR 43 C12 KAR - Some pictures here