Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which satnav

metal mickey

Garmin Quest II is all of those, and waterproof, but I haven't been able to get Julian to confirm a price on them yet! ☹️

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

• Area Representative

IanB: same happened to me. I don't think Julian has these as standard lines, which is why I ended up with a Mio 168 pda and TomTom. But he is the house expert.

Good News, in the 12th month I still got it repaired under waranty.

Bad news, the combined data/power connector was broken.

Other info: TomTom is ok, lots of people rate it but it doesn't do a great deal of what I would have specified / expect in this sort of software. If buying from new I would probably get something else next time. If you just want "get me there, don't care how" it is fab and does the job well.

• Support Team

I don't like the TomTom unit as it is too big to fit in your pocket when you remove it from the car. I have a NavMan iCN510 which is IMHO as good as the original TomTom. The problem is that the Navman only does partial postcodes and that is extremely annoying as I often travel to business addresses that don't have a street name or number (e.g. on business parks). I recommend you find one that uses complete postcodes and is a comfortable size to fit in your pocket. The all in one units are supposedly more reliable than PDA based solutions - I have read that if you use other applications on the PDA then conflicts and crashes can occur. All of the all in one units are easily transferred from car to car.

My number one recommendation is to go to Pocket GPS World and read everything there.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 3 Mar 2006 13:30:10

I think you will find the Garmin Quest is on the way out and the Nuvi 300 is the new kid on the block - well that what I think Julian told me the other week.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Edited by - John Howe on 3 Mar 2006 13:37:43

I use a PDA and ran CoPilot v6 for a while until my PDA broke and I bought a HP6510 PDA/phone. That hada smaller screen and so I couldn't use CoPilot so I went for TomTom. I find TomTom a bit slow since everything is calculated as you drive, so loading up the latest camera positions, etc is very easy. Unfortunately it does have the habit every now and again of being 20 yards behind where the car actually is which is a pain especially at complex intersections. I would upgrade to the new version of CoPilot but it doesn't support traffic information at the moment and I find that very useful on TomTom. When it does I will probably move back to CoPilot...

Andy

Mickey, my daughter aged 18 (this was 15 months ago) had to deliver a Christmas turkey from Sussex to Twickenham. She had never used a Sat Nav before (it was a Garmin Quest). It took her to the street and the number, she then punched in home and it brought her back again.

Magic, as far as I am concerned...

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

I am now 'happy' with my Road Angel Navigator. There's still a little clunkiness to some of the menus, but my replacement unit has been reliable (first one was from the bleeding-edge of production and was faulty).

The only major PITA for me is that there isn't an audio-out - so I will be modifying the cradle for use in the 7.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I went for the BlueMedia 6300 at £299, needed one in a hurry so didn't shop around. I must say I am very pleased with it (although I have little to compare it with!), dead easy to use, also contains the various traffic camera locations and gives warnings. Slim so easy to carry in the pocket, decent size screen, comes with car and bike fitting kits and can even be used while walking in 'pedestrian mode'. I'm sure some of the more expensive ones are better, but to be honest I can't see the need for spending more.

I know it is questionable whether anyone really needs such technology, but on a holiday last summer I did about 2000 miles, visited lots of places between the South coast and Scottish Highlands without once needing to look at a map or road sign for directions, just input the destianation ond go. Brilliant. No stress whatsoever - had complete faith in 'doing what I was told' (maybe it is because it is a womans voice and therefore instinct to not question anything *eek*).

Easy to find supplers using Google

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

One other thing. Check out the map coverage. My version of TomTom uses the TeleAtlas mapping (I believe) which covers 90-odd% of the country which sounds okay until you discover that certain parts of Middlesbrough and Newcastle seeming don't have any roads in them. Now making parts of Middlesbrough disappear may not be a bad thing, but Newcastle's a fairly large city in my book... CoPilot v5 uses NavTech mapping which ckaims 100% coverage of the UK. I presume v6 uses the same source, but haven't been able to check this out...

Andy