Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec query

amosian

With all this talk of the Duratec engine being the future for the Seven, I am curious as to know how difficult it would be to replace a k-series engined with the Ford. At the moment, I'm more than happy with what I've got, just curious as to complexity of changing engine.

ta

You should speak to those very nice people at Raceline, Chris Smith, Peter McEwan or Art Markus (01483 811978). They have developed a few bits for the Duratec including a bellhousing and sump. I believe they have a Caterham running available for test rides.

AMMO

The Duratec has bigger valves and ports, has a bigger bore and shorter stroke and has chain driven cams as opposed to belt. It also has an aluminium block which should make it 15 to 20 kilos lighter although I have no firm figures for this.

It is a very up to date engine. The Zetec is around ten years old now.

The Duratec has the potential to make 190 bhp with just throttle bodies. The 2 litre Zetec makes 165 bhp with throttle bodies but can be easily coaxed to around 200 bhp with the usual cam and porting mods.

The Zetec can be picked up quite cheaply second-hand. The Duratecs are still quite new so still expensive.

AMMO

Edited by - Ammo on 15 Jan 2002 07:52:05

Zetec is undersquare. Performance constrained.

Duratec is a serious pitch by Ford to get back into the performance engine game.

Weighs a couple of kilos more than a k-series. Potential for Vauxhall XE levels of power.

It will be easier ot replace any fuel injection installation with a fuel injected Duratec than to go from a xflow to an FI Duratec.

Carbs on the Duratec would be like fitting propellors on Concorde.

Hmmmmm!

I've just ordered an SLR but this makes me wonder where Caterham are up to with this one? Sounds more eligible than a Metro engine! Maybe worth delaying my order for the latest offering? I saw the Duratec at the show, looks good and with the exhaust on the offside might encourage the missus into the car!

Peter,

Concorde would never work with propellors.

The Duratec would work very well with carbs. In fact,if you could find them, a set of Constant Velocity large bore carbs with accelerator pumps and the correct needles would work very well indeed, probably matching any type of fuel injection you care to mention for both torque and power.

There's a lot of bike engines out there giving over 150bhp per litre on good old carbs!

Chris.

Sorry I can't believe anybody really believes carbs are a viable solution in this day and age. Throttle body fuel injection gives you:

1. No progression difficulties

2. Full auditability of a set up

3. Max potential power and torque

4. The ability to change settings on the fly with a computer rather than twiddling with spanners, changing jets and still not knowing whether you have got it right.

The whole throttle bodies and programmable EFI thing demystifies the engine thing.

The original question was based on relacing a K with a Duratec. All factory k installations have been fuel injected, therefore the tank and pump are already in place.

You would have to be seriously perverse to take an EFI implementation and then seek to plumb in a Duratec on carbs rather than throttle bodies. There are no benefits.

Arnie

The 190 bhp I mentioned was based on something I was told. I have no proof that this is correct.

Could be that it might make more (or less?).

The horsepower an engine makes is mainly limited by how much money you can throw at it (you probably know this already).

The Zetec never could have been a contender in Touring Car. When Ford went Touring Car racing they had to reduce the capacity of their V6 to try to compete with the likes of Nissan.

The Duratec has a lot of potential in my opinion. There is no reason why we should not see high power outputs from this engine once someone starts seriously working on it.

Will it ever make 300 bhp in normally aspirated form? We'll have to wait and see.

AMMO

Ammo,

Just thought your posting was prime fodder to wind up the anti VX boys....

All I'll say is remember the VX can make 340bhp in (very expensive) 2.0 litre nasp form!!!

The VX's best attribute is that it can make 280bhp at reasonable cost and it is in no way peaky.

Paul,

I'd like to think I don't sound like SBD. Cant't explain, Chelspeed will pick on me again.....

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 18 Jan 2002 19:27:04

Edited by - fat arnie on 18 Jan 2002 19:28:28

Peter,

I agree with everything you say re. carbs versus injection.

I do have a rebellious nature, though "perverse" is perhaps an overstatement

Now where did I put those 420R twin SUs....?

Chris.

Whilst the Vauxhall might make more power than anything else Arn, which is nice it has a distinct problem if you havn't already got one......

Ya can't buy one now !!!!

Also, it is a little bit, ahem, portly, shall we say....

The Duratec is available and very new and pretty damned light too...

8JU