Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ECU fan control switch - last couple of wires ?????

noddy

As it says, I've got these wires and no instructions. When it comes to electrical stuff I'm not the brightest of sparks but I can follow instructions and look at pictures. Help please *confused*

R400 .......... I love it

Edited by - noddy on 4 Mar 2006 17:39:49

OK here goes; it's quite simple. You need a simple relay such as this from Vehicle Wiring Products here

I'm assuming you have an aftermarket ECU such as an Emerald, MBE or a GEMS? I have a GEMS, you may have an MBE.

The ECU acts as a switched earth. So pin number 6 is the one you want on the ECU. Have a look here for the ECU pinouts.

Mount the relay near the fan & wire terminal 6 of the ECU to terminal number 85 on the relay. 12 volts ignition switched +ve is supplied to 86 & 30 & the fan is plugged into number 87.

Good luck

Mick

Noddy

If you click on my website below, there's a circuit diagram for a fan-override switch. If it's not clear enough on the website, please email me and I'll mail you a proper copy.

The circuit incorporates an LED on the dash which illuminates whether you choose to switch the fan on manually or if the fan comes on automatically via the temperature sensor.

Chris

(edited for typo)

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 3 Mar 2006 23:53:25

Noddy

One more thing. Mick's circuit is great but it will not work if you have the original Caterham MBE ECU as that ECU doesn't contain the fan switching pin. With an MBE you will need to use my circuit or similar.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Mines the original MBE unit, I have the CC ECU fan wiring kit/relay etc, plugged wire into pin33 in ECU, one wire onto +ive side of battery.

I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE BROWN & BLACK WIRES THAT LEAD TO THE FRONT OF THE CAR GO, DO THEY JUST PLUG INTO THE FAN WIRES - BLACK TO BLACK & BROWN TO BLUE 🤔

AND DO I NEED TO DISCONNECT THE TEMP SENDER IN THE RADIATOR 🤔

IF THIS IS THE CASE WHAT TEMP SHOULD THE FAN COME ON AT?

R400 .......... I love it