Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Class 2 or Class 3, ACB's or Stunners???

Jeff S

Hi all,

Its march allready, and ive done nothing to the car since halewood

6sp Gearbox and lsd still on garage bench waiting to be fitted..will start this weekend...But I wondered if any of you knowledgable sprinters could give me some advice 🤔

Is fitting new MB wheels with ACB10's 13" as straight forward as it seems or will this mean a lot more time and money making suspension and set up changes to get the full benifit from them 🤔

Still got 15" wheels with cr500's running on std roadsport adjustable billies...so could just fit stunners and move to class 2 *confused*

If the acb's seem favourable, what size tyres and wheels 🤔 7" front, 8" backs *confused*

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon *smile*

Jeff

Jeff

A set of stunners will set you back £160 where as a set of ACB10's cost around £500 plus you have to add another £450-£750 for the MB rims. The standard Bilstein dampers are competitive provided the car is set up correctly but if you go for the ACB10's you will need a set of De Dion ears at approx £100 for the correct camber settings if your car is currently set up for radials.

It really is a question on how much you want to spend and what you use the car for when not sprinting.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Jeff - last year I ran 7*21 fronts and 7*22 rears (acb wise)

Paul Dickens ran 8*22 at the rear i think, and I know some people are switching to the wider size for this year, however i am sticking to 7* all round as that is what fits the wheels I have...

but as mark says they are not cheap and they won't last that long, in fact in reality most of using the sticky acb's tend to have another set of wheels/tyres for road, and some have another set for trackdays....

rob

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

Jeff- my first question would be how quick are you. If you are likely to be a front(ish) runner then I would say go for class 2 so that I don't get pushed even further away from the podium in class 3. If you're a pants driver then by all means come and play in 3 😬

I'd echo what Mark says regarding costs. I will compete in class 3 as that is where I have built up the close rivalries with a few guys over the last 3 years. I have to say that as my budget is tight this year if I didn't know everyone in 3 then I would save money and go for class 2.

Whichever you decide you'll still have a blast don't forget...

Steve

Edited by - Steve Robinson on 2 Mar 2006 13:10:10

Thanks for the tips guys *thumbup*

Steve, I managed to scrape a 63.73 at curbugger last year on the above tyres and set up. hoping that the longer 1st gear in the 6 spd box and lsd would improve that by 1.5 secs *confused*

ACB's might give me another 1 sec which would put me in the 61ish region(hopefully *smile*) But this would still be 2 secs off the mark . Stunners would be similar to my cr500's so the 1.5 secs saving from box & lsd would put me at 62ish secs which would be very competitive in class 2.

Dont really want to leave class 3 as Ireally enjoyed the banter last year, and it would mean that Richard would no longer give me any tips

Mark/Rob,

After setting the camber angles for acb's, how safe is it to drive on spare radials for pottering around on the road, or for that matter track days 🤔

And (last numpty question, honest!) 7" & 8" ACB's, what size rims 🤔 🤔

Thanks again

Jeff

the longer 1st gear in the 6 spd box and lsd would improve that by 1.5 secs
I doubt the longer 1st gear would make any difference . I cant think where you would use 1st gear (apart from the start of course) The lsd would help .

ACB's are often simply matched to rim width - 6" on a 6"/7" width, 7" on 6/7" rim , 8"on 8"/8.5" width etc *smile*

I use ACB cambers with 48Rs on the road and to sprint in the SouthWest championship - you loose a little turn in bite with the lack of camber but its fine. Braking is improved as the tyre is upright .

Jeff - i run cr500's for the road and wet trackdays no problem on the standard acb setting

there is quite a bit about this int he techtalk archives and the common agreement is that cr500's are ok due to the construction, not tried other tyres tho....

I reckon if you take 2 to 2.5s of your pb in a year then you should be very happy *thumbup*

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

Dave,

I only use 1st at the start..honest 😬

short 1st is probably more frustrating than performance damaging.. my start times are allways a little slow.. maybe the lsd should help this more than the new box.

thanks to you all for your comments, *thumbup* and maybe 2secs improvement is a bit hopeful 😳But am really looking forward to trying 😬 😬

Now, how do i get into this piggy bank....

Jeff