Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MG F VVC into Caterham 7

sieds

Does any one know what I need, to put a VVC engine from an MG F into a Caterham 7.

What can I use from the 1600 K series, sump, clutch, starter, cooling, engine mounts, exhaust etc.

Is the bell house the same?

Anyone some experiences in doing this.

And any suggestions of buying a VVC engine somewhere.

Sieds

You'll need to skim a little off the top of the plenum to clear the bonnet, drill the end of the crank to take the spigot bearing and a grind a lump off the crankcase on the exhaust side to clear the starter in its installed position.

Otherwise the block is pretty much identical.

You will need the Caterhams starter adapter and starter and the water rail for the exhaust side of the head, the Caterham sump, bellhousing and fork.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 14 Jan 2002 14:48:52

Both Bob C & Al Wain have fitted this version to their new Caterhams.

I think the alternator bracket has to be changed for the low mount one.

In regard to other requirements, the crank spigot bearing and sleeve can be had from Caterham for about 7 UKP each as I remember. The g/box input shaft can also be cut to suit the cranshaft available depth. This is what Caterham do instead of drilling the crank. I guess it's easier, but more importantly, cheaper in time/labour for them! Measure twice (at least!), cut once.

Oilyhands is correct about the grinding off the rear section in regard to the starter fitting.Right fiddle! This also eliminates the engine serial number which is marked here!!! A 1400/1600 flywheel is required as the 1800 one doesn't fit into the Caterham bell housing.

Good Luck!

Its not difficult at all.

The new ECD3 engines (plastic coil pack cover on top) fit in a bit easier.

The plenum now fits under the bonnet with no machining. I just filed the part no off the bottom off the inlet manifold to increase the gap to the engine triangulation bar.

The spigot bearing goes straight into the std crank.

If you use an newish MGF engine, you will have to take the oil temp sensor out of the bottom of the oil filter, block the hole, and strap the sensor up out of the way. This sensor is only to reduce power output if the oil gets too hot. Rover 25's dont have it and I dont think Caterham need it. You can keep an eye on the oil temp yourself with the gauge (if you have an Appolo tank).

You can buy an engine ancillary pack specificaly for the VVC engine from Caterham (£850+vat). This has everything you need, including :-

a machined down plenum for the older EU2 version of the engine. If you send this back you get an £85 refund.

engine mounts specifically for the VVC

sump with oil pick up and baffles

flywheel, clutch, release bearing, spigot etc

new water rail and sensors.

air filter

Anything else pls email me direct.

Cheers

Bob