Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

bush changing/powder coating

blade_runner

The front suspension on my 7 is badly gravel rashed due to its time as a racer, I have decided to get the wishbones, Anti roll bar and wing stays shot blasted and re-powder coated, I have spoke to arch and there too busy to do anything for at least a Month, I have a local powder coater that willing to do the work and seem quite cheap, now heres the problem; some of the metaelastic bushes in the wish bones are showing signs of the rubber going, do I remove all the bushes, get the wishbones re-powder coated, and then damage the powdercoating pressing new bushes in?

or change all the bushes and then get the wishbones re-powder coated, they should be able to mask it easier was my thought...?

'Pinky Pics' here

not sure if the heat use in "baking" the powder coating would effect the rubber in the bushes or not.

I used hammerite satin in an aerosol to do my rear A-frame and got a perfect result.

used it to touch up my front wishbones as well.

not sure how durable it will be, but very easy to touch up in the future.

hope this helps

Paul W

Scottish Sevens

***new***ZX12R Rebuild Site***new***

Blade,

Just been through the same thing but with rear suspension.

The firm who did mine said the bushes would need to be out when undergoing the powder coating process as they would be burnt otherwise.

So I had the new bushes put in after coating and whilst it did cause a few scratches and chips they were easily touched up.

Blade,

I did the front lower wishbones on my 7 a couple of months ago.

My bushes were ok so I just sprayed the wishbones in hamerite primer and smooth satin black hamerite.

Your bushes would definately have to be removed before powder coating.

If you do go the powder coating route, you should consider either masking the bush holes (masking tape) or clamping a big flat washer each side (nut & bolt through to hold washers in place). This will avoid having to remove the powder coating from the holes before replacing the bushes.

Ask the powder coater to passivate and apply a rustproofing coat before the top (colour) coat. This will avoid the 'peel the paint off the garden funiture' syndrome in a couple of years.

Have fun,

Bruce.

Angus,

As the powder coating didn't come off my wishbones in great big flakey sheets (1993 car, 35K miles), I would assume they do some preperation maybe just degrease and passivate.

I'm no expert, but I think they need a big tank of nasty stuff to passivate the steel after shotblasting & before powder coating. My local powder coater then puts a grey anti rust primer coat on before the top colour. I didn't see 2 layers of piant when I was rubbing my wishbones down ready for spraying.

Last time around, I had my springs (shotblast, pasivated, undercoat & black) and hood hoops (just coated black as they are ally and I rubbed them down) for £40

At the end of the day, you pay your money...........

Bruce.

Perceived opinion is that the chassis powder coating was OK up to about 1994 ish. I've just stripped my 1994 chassis & was pleasantly surprised at the lack of rust. True some powder coating did strip off on the bottom rails but it was shiny steel underneath. Instead of re-powder coating I've had the affected parts painted with 1 pack satin black.

Edited by - Mick Day on 1 Mar 2006 17:22:51